Phasor II review by Mu-Tron

Mu-Tron: Phasor II

Purchased from: Jeff's Wearhouse Music

This is what this pedal is really all about, the sound. Robin trower used this badboy for a reason, because nothing comes close. Let me clarify that statement, no other phasor gets the same tones as the mutron phasor ii. There are plenty of other good phasors out there, mind you, but if you want the mutron sound then you're stuck finding one of these things. The characteristic tone of this device is very lush, deep, thick, compressed, organic, full, or just gorgeous if you don't like all the words. The intensity of the effect does cause a bit of volume loss at times, but I feel it is well worth it, and it does clean up quite well when you roll back the 'depth' and 'feedback' knobs. The 'feedback' control can easily push itself into UFO/songbird sounds and can get even more wild with the 'rate' turned up. Unique is the best way to describe the sound of this effect as it really doesn't compare to other phasors very well, it contrasts with them quite sharply. I find the mutron style phase to be more preferable in psychedelic and ambient music. I still may get a Moog phaser to have a more conventional phasor.

I wanna get something out the way first, I wrote this review because the review for my bi-phase(which is really what I play more of since I got it) was just way too long to explain it all. But I play mainly eclectic rock based music, this thing is a tone horse, I couldn't imagine anyone wanting a phaser being disappointed in this thing. It's sweet. I have been playing over 12 years and mutron phasors are by far my favorite I have played(I was never really a fan of phasors at all before). This effect is kinda irreplaceable for me right now, so if lost or stolen I guess I would need to get another. As far as improving or begrudging the device. I wish it had a little more range in it's phase, it is kinda one trick pony as far as phase does go. The effect pretty much always comes off as intense as well, hard to transition out of the effect with it sounding sudden(transitioning into is great). I kinda knew that before I bought it and I am absolutely enamored with it.

LOL, hilarious. I hate trying to fill up this section with something relevant, there is only so many words you can say about a devices reliability. Enough filler. This device is from the 70's, mutron wasn't around for long and the bulk of it came out toward the late 70's. My particular pedal was actually worked before I bought it. If you find one of these things expect to do the same(though my bi-phase is straight stock I believe). Either way, I have no problems with it and it's still kicking from the 70's.

The Mutron Phasor II is an 'Electro-optical phase control' device. This is the same famous optical phase module used in the mu-tron bi-phase. 3 knobs to control Rate, Depth and Feedback; also 2 jacks for I/O and an on/off switch. It's as simple as they come. + How easy is it to get a good sound out of it? Real easy, you just have to turn it on, plug in, and play. + How about Editing patches? Digital interfaces were predictions of the future at the time this came out. think they still used punch cards to program BASIC in assembly back then. + How is the manual for it (if there is one)? Don't know if there is one, but you don't need one if you have ever used a pedal before

EpiExplorer
    I'mma firin mah Phas0r! But this is from the 70's? wow.. Seems good too, even for a relic. Never really been a huge fan of phasers, sounds too electro-pop. And a little cheesy. But they're good for ambient tracks, like yer said, and guitar backdrops too. And if you play avante garde music..
    nostr0tomas
    i almost bought one of these from my friends mom haha. i tried it out what a crazy pedal but that lady was looking for like 400 bucks on it and i didnt have the cash at the time... what a loss on my part. they sold it at a garage sale somewhere down the line for 100 bucks. what bastards... no phone call!
    gumbilicious
    @epiExplorer. mutron does really call their phaser a phasor. i just kept it consistent throughout the review. Mutron is the only company i know that spells their phaser with an 'O', probably cuz it's so bad ass smokin hot they can do that. @nos 400 bucks would be a bit much for me myself. i'd probably go 250 tops. the bi-phase i got from Candy Land music went for 545, i would have paid up to 650 to 700 for it. but the no phone call... they'll get theirs, karma's a bitch.