EVH 5150 Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: EVH 5150 Overdrive

Purchased from: Music 'n' More (Albemarle, NC)

Plug it in + set your tone + click on + strum = Edward Van Halen at your fingertips. I really cant say how simple it is to use this pedal. Because "This field requires minimum 500 characters," I will talk about the store I got it from? Sure! Music 'n' More is a little music store in Albemarle, NC. They also have a location in Concord, NC and another one, which I don't know where its at. Their website is: www.mnmshop.com. One thing they believe in is lower prices. So give them a call and see what kind of a discount you can get. It can be up to 20% like this EVH I got! I asked about a Kramer Pacer Tiger, and instead of it being 699, I think they said I could get it from them for like 580. Thats a $119 discount. Check them out for sure! They don't list their discounts online, so call to check it out!

This thing is a beast! I play '80s metal, with the occasional rock and blues. I run my Ibanez S440, into a DigiTech multi effects, into the EVH 5150, and out though my Marshall 50CFX. In the future, I might add a carbon copy bright to the loop, but just to get a little bit more of a jangly sound to it. I've been trying to find the Van Halen tone, without blowing $1300. Granted, its been hard. When I first heard about this pedal, I was under the impression it was just another Sig pedal that was just a money maker. I was wrong. This... is a metal maker.

This pedal is little, light, and very durable. The paint is super tight. The satin and gloss black frankenstein looks absolutely amazing! All the knobs are on tight, and the button clicks as well as it possibly could. I've played with this pedal live at church (yes, I do play in my church band... God is Good) a couple times and it seems to have done the job. If I have a quieter clean setting for a certain song, all I need to do is adjust the output and turn up the overall volume in the mix. Since I've had this pedal for not even a month, I can't really say how well it does over a period of time. Check back in a few months for an update ;).

When I first plugged this thing in, I turned the knobs to the following: Out: 5.5, Bass: 6, Mid: 3, Treb: 5.5, Gain: 7. I was blown away with the sound that came through. I all of a sudden had the tone of Edward Van Halen! It was pretty awesome! The noise gate help tremendously when trying to rid the usual distortion fuzz like the kind you get form other pedals. Unlike some pedals, a minute tweak in the knobs on the EVH produces a big difference in sound. My only problem is MXR should have made the boost button foot switchable as well. Overall, I paid 20% cheaper on a pedal... BRAND NEW, and It seems like I have the 5150 III head right into my sound loop. It's like my dream come true!

lanebennett123
    I've been waiting for this pedal for awhile now. Seems like it is practical for almost anything. Need this pedal now.
    Way Cool JR.
    The entire "Ease of use:" section is nothing but a sales pitch/advertising for a store. Advertising like that is frowned upon around here.
    shane_1995
    I really couldn't explain it easier than the description i mentioned. Since UG wouldn't let me submit the article without at least 500 characters, I thought I would talk about the store I got it from. I apologize for any inconvenience, good sir.
    davey77
    I have this pedal and compared it to my EVH 5150 III 50watt and its pretty damn close. Ilike this pedal a lot. I even tried it on a Fender Blues Jr and the 5150 III tones there. But I would say if you spend a little more the Bogner Ecstacy is better or the Wampler Pinnacle.