KFK1 Ten Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: KFK1 Ten Band EQ

I am using this pedal in the effects loop of a Peavey Valveking half-stack with an Agile AL-2000 Floyd rose guitar. The way that I use the pedal it is not noisy at all, but it is kind of noisy if you boost the mids on the pedal, and it can also get kind of fizzy if you boost the highs too much. I have the EQ on my amp: Treble 4-5 Mids 7 Bass 5-6. I use the EQ pedal to scoop the mids and boost the lows and highs just a bit. This gives me a compressed sound with a good crunch on the neck pickup, and when I Switch to the bridge pickup I get a nice smooth sound for solos. I play some thrash metal and some more classic metal (pretty much Ozzy sounding stuff). It hasn't given me any trouble as far as noise as long as I don't boost the mids too much on the pedal. If I want to play a song with a lot of midrange I'll boost the mids on my amp and put the mids on the EQ pedal at 0.

This pedal works great for metal and hard rock. I've even tried playing a little punk on it and it worked really well. There's pretty much nothing that I would add or take away from it. It made a 100% difference in my tone. Ok not 100% but probably a good 75%. I haven't compared it to any other EQ pedals except the MXR 10 Band EQ, but if anything else it as good as this, that pedal is the man too.

This thing is pretty much built like a tank. The only issue I see with it is I don't know if it has a battery compartment. I haven't really looked for one since I haven't need it yet, but if it doesn't that would be a major design flaw. I assume that it must be hiding around somewhere, but I jsut haven't seen it (I only looked at the bottom of the pedal once).

First off this pedal is basically the same thing as the 0 Band EQ but it has an extra output and has the cool paint on it, so if you want more reviews you could pretty much look up the regular MXR 10 Band EQ. But anyway it's not hard to get a good sound from this pedal, but it took me a while to get a really great sound out of it. You can pretty much any sound you want out of this man. I didn't like the presets that the manual had in it, but some people might. The one thing that I really like about it is the fact that it comes with it's own power supply.

Levi79
    TheChaz
    Levi79 wrote: is this any different than the regular ten band? or does it just cost more for the sweet paint? how much more does it cost?(canadian)
    Ummm I'm almost sure that there is no difference in the sound that they produce, but the KFK-1 does have the sweet paint and an two outputs instead of 1. I don't know how much more it is canadian, but it's 20 USD more than the regular ten band EQ.