KFK1 Ten Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: KFK1 Ten Band EQ

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Second Hand

I'm running this MXR through my Engl's FX loop along with my ESP Ltd loaded with EMGs. My main use for it is boosting the mids for when it is appropriate. With ten bands, the tweakablitiy is very versatile indeed. I've tried it in conjunction with small SS amps and the cutting/boosting seemed quite tame, however with the Engl, it satisfies immensely. This pedal runs off an 18V powersupply (which is included) giving it extra headroom, a very neat feature. The sound, although this pedal I believe is not true, but hardwired bypass, does not detoriate and it performs very well.

I bought this gorgeous pedal on a whim and it has delivered exactly what I was looking for. It has proved very versatile in eq-ing various tones I use mostly for verious heavy metal styles. After using many boss-style footswitches, this was something new, but I soon grew to like the clickety Switch which seems durable enough. If it were to get lost, I would certainly proceede to acquire an other one. I think it's time to check out a few other MXR products!

This pedal seems very well constructed, I believe, they use a hardened zinc alloy. The sliders glow a nice red making it very easy to check what's going on in any lighting circumstance. The white paint is also fluorescent, a nice touch. This pedal does not take batteries, since it is runs on 18v, I suppose it would cost a fortune to run off the powersupply otherwise.

The pedal is very straightforward and very similar to it's brother the MXR 10 Band EQ. Along with the ten band sliders, there are two gain sliders which boost/cut the input/output levels. This pedal features dual output jacks to, quoting MXR manual, punish two amps. Managing a 10 Band EQ isnt an instinct we're born with, but on the other hand it's not Rocket science. I'm not asking anything simpler for such an eq pedal.