M101 Phase 90 review by MXR

MXR: M101 Phase 90

Purchased from: Ebay

I have to give this a perfect 10. I have both the Dunlop reissue and an original MXR Script Phase. The original sounds 10x better. The reissue tends to add a little bit of distortion if you play too loud or too hard, but the original has miles of headroom. No clipping or distortion at all. The original also has a very warm, almost liquid sounding phase that the reissue lacks. You can go from a very slow, almost unnoticeable phase, to a quick vibrato-like effect just by turning up the speed. Keep it slow if you want to get that classic Van Halen phasing. There is a little but of noise when using this pedal, but that's nothing a good noise suppressor can't fix.

I play a lot of Van Halen, which is the main reason I bought this pedal. I got extremely lucky with this find. Normally these MXR originals sell for over $250. If this were lost or stolen, I would have one hell of a time finding one for what I payed. I would definitely get another original Script Phase, the sound quality is so much better than the reissues. The only thing I wish this pedal had would be an LED, but beggars can't be choosers. If you ever have the chance to play through, or even buy one of these Script Phase '90s, do not hesitate to do so. These are just too good to pass up.

MXR is long gone, and Dunlop doesn't like to deal with discontinued products. So if this thing craps out on you, you better know someone Who can fix it. Just remember to bring an extra battery with you to the gig, no one would want this thing to die in the middle of a show. The foot Switch might need replacing, but I guess that would be normal for a pedal that is 35 year old. I haven't had any major problems with this pedal so far, aside from a few shorts when I changed the enclosure. Just keep in mind that this pedal is 35 years old and counting, so it's bound to have a few problems every once and a while.

One knob, just set the speed and stomp on it. No manual needed. Extremely simple to use, and only takes a few seconds to find the sound you want to hear. Perfect for the "set it and forget it" players. No LED or power supply on the original, so you've got to unplug it every time to save battery life. Little bit of a hassle, but defiantly worth it for the incredible sound quality you get from this little thing.

Squid Vicious
    I got this a few days ago. Great phaser, I haven't tried others but I can definitely say from my experience with this one that it's well worth your money.
    techmetalftw
    I own this... Simple, yet very effective and doesn't overdue the phase effect. Sounds great and handles like a beast. Decent reviews btw.
    Rock Boy
    "I'd recommend this amazing pedal to anyone looking for a chorus pedal" You must mean phaser