M101 Phase 90 review by MXR

MXR: M101 Phase 90

Purchased from: Denmark Street

Master Lead Combo, very classic rock. I run the phaser after my eq and before my amp (before overdrive/distortion). It adds very little noise my signal when used with distortion and none when I run my amp clean. The only time I've had problems with it is when the battery is on it's way out. The Phase 90 has a classic and instantly recognisable sound that can be heard on countless albums from the mid '70's up to modern day. It has a smooth and creamy tone that can go from a luscious slow phase right up to an intense "shake" (think No Quarter).

I am a great fan of the phaser effect in general so the Phase 90 is a match made in heaven. It doesn't offer a great deal in terms of control and tweakability but what it does offer is a timeless sound that I'm sure everyone will knows and likes. I got mine rather cheap for the fact that it has script logo internals in a block logo box. Script logo's sell for quite a bit of money now so if you see an old pedal with no led, grab a philips head and check it out!

The old MXR pedals have a reputation for being great workhorses. I mean this pedal was featured on the pedalboard's of Page, Gilmour and Van Halen for years! All the electronics are housed in a metal box with four screws holding on the backplate, a heavy duty footswitch and a CTS potentiometer. This thing has being going strong for thirty years and I'm pretty sure it will be in another thirty.

1978 transitional period, block logo/script back, non-led MXR Phase 90. This is THE easiest pedal you could ever use. One knob, set it to your desired speed and forget about it, seriously! Takes a regular 9 volt battery, no 9volt jack or led so remember to unplug it when you're finished.