M101 Phase 90 review by MXR

MXR: M101 Phase 90

Purchased from: craigslist

I use this pedal with a few different Ibanez guitars going into a Peavey Windsor. The Phase 90 is a perfect phaser for The Music I play, which includes a lot of rock and metal. The sounds range from smoother, shimmery slow cycles to faster, underwater warbles. The classic Van Halen phaser tones are easy to get with these pedals, even more so if you perform the fairly simple modifications to it.

I've been playing for a few years now and I own quite a few effects pedals. I play rock and metal and this pedal is perfect for me. I use it a lot on lead playing, just to give that extra flash. I bought this pedal with every intention of modding it (I did the R28, C11, C12 mods). They took less than 20 minutes start to finish and made this great pedal even better. If this pedal were lost or stolen I would definitely buy another one and go through and perform all the mods again. The only thing that would be nice would be a volume knob, just for the added versatility... but it's not a necessity by any means. Great classic pedal.

I've had this pedal for over a year now, and I bought it used. The paint all still looks new and it's given me no problems what'soever. MXR pedals are all built tough, and the M-101 Phase 90 is no exception. I have used this on a gig without a backup and it hasn't let me down. The mods didn't affect the reliability either.

The MXR Phase 90 is probably one of the easiest pedals to use. Set the one knob that controls the rate of the phaser, step on the Switch and go. I got mine used so it didn't come with a manual, but anyone can figure this pedal out immediately.