M102 Dyna Comp review by MXR

MXR: M102 Dyna Comp

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I have been priveleged to run this through a Fender Jam 75 with a Squier Strat. The biggest issue I have found, as you will also find with other Comp/Sustainers, is the buzz. Not a slight buzz, but an armageddon buzz. This will definitely need a noise gate at the end of a chain to suppress this beast. The sensitivity knob, when cranked down, though, will prevent some of the buzz. The output knob gives a constant, well-balanced output level, and the trigger is very strong, and should withstand some very powerful stomps.

I primarily play Alt rock to metal and find use everywhere for this pedal, especially on extended power chords where they are supposed to ring, thhe addes sustain is wonderful. I use this along with a Boss DS-1 and Boss ML-2 and it has become a primary staple to my sound. If it wsa stolen, I would definitely buy another. The only thing I really have against this pedal is that, due to its being analog, the sustain isn't as long as you would find on a digital Comp/Sus pedal. I will definitely be investing in a digital Comp/Sus to have the infinite capability to sustain chords.

MXR compact pedals are definitely built like tanks. Without purposely intending to get inside this pedal, or a bulldozer, this pedal is made to withstand nuclear warfare. This would definitely be a pedal I would be confident with, and feel secure using without a backup.

This pedal is a wonderful example of MXR standards and powerful analog pedals. Immediately out of the box, this pedal is extremely simple to use. I only read the instruction manual for the heck of it on the ride home. The manual is very simple and explanatory. Two knobs, one on/off Switch. Finding a good sound is very simple, depending on how much outout and sustain you need.

Section 5
    concert_addict wrote: line 6 sucks. simple as that
    Um, no. The Spider series sucks. The Flextones, Vettas, PODs, and some of their pedals are great. Just because the only experience you've had of Line 6 comes from the Spider III doesn't mean that all the company's products are bad.