M102 Dyna Comp review by MXR

MXR: M102 Dyna Comp

Price paid: € 99

Purchased from: Knight Music

It is really easy to set this guitar pedal. There are only 2 control knobs on the pedal, Output and Sensitivity. The Sensitivity allows you to set the amount of compression you wish out of this pedal and the output allows you to set the output volume level you wish. The pedal does not have attack or release settings. I still like the way it sounds. Mine is a later model so it has an indicator LED. I generally set mine by setting the Sensitivity to around 10 o'clock and then adjust the output to unity gain.

This pedal is instant magic. It makes the guitar cut through the band sound by lifting the mids. It may not be as noticeable as some of the other effects, but it takes the guitar sound to another level. The compression also allows chords to sound way more even. I use it with a lot of effects generally chorus but also overdrives and delays. I like the way it lifts the mids when I play through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II. It is a bit noisy as expected form any compressor, but it is not terrible.

The pedal is enclosed in a cast zinc case which I really like. The switch seems great and feels wonderful. There is not much more to go wrong with this simple pedal. The knob covers that MXR claims that one uses with their feet degrade too quickly but I still do not use them. These should not effect the performance of the pedal. At first I thought that I got a defective one as I was pushing the output to about 2-3 o'clock for unity gain. I went back to the store and compared it to another one and both seemed to operate in the same manner. Then I tried it again at band levels, and it required less output.

I generally avoid using this pedal with high gain or distorted sounds. I enjoy the pedal with clean sounds or slightly overdriven sounds. It is what makes my clean sound shine. I find it great for funky rhythms, pop guitar and softer rock songs. I wish I got this pedal way earlier as it sounds great. Everybody discouraged me to get this pedal as I had only guitars with humbucker pickups. It is not as drastic with humbuckers, but it smooths ringing chords even with overdriven sounds in a very pleasing way.