M104 Distortion Plus review by MXR

MXR: M104 Distortion Plus

Purchased from: guitar center

I use a Gibson Les Paul with a Kustom lead series, and it sounds incredible. It is the perfect combination of blues Overdrive and rock distortion. Perfect for that classic rock sound like Led Zeppelin or AC/DC. Always strong and full, no matter what the setting.

I mostly play classic rock and modern rock, and this pedal is perfect for either. I have been playing for two and a half years, and I own a Gibson Les Paul Classic, a kustom amp, and a Vox wah pedal. If it were stolen or lost, I might try something else just to try something else, but I'm sure I would return to the Distortion + after being unsatisfied with everything else. I love the way that it has every kind of dist. I need. From low crunch tones to high fuzz, it provides it all. I have also owned a DS-1 and a big muff, neither of which provided what I was looking for. The DS-1 just wasn't a very quality pedal, and the big muff was too fuzzy for my taste. The MXR lets it all ring through. There is nothing extra this pedal needs.

I can depend fully on this pedal. The only thing that makes it kind of sketchy is the 9 volt battery, which can crap out on you, as has happened to me before, but you could expect that with any pedal. I wouldn't bring a backup with me on a gig, I would just bring extra batteries. I have owned my pedal for quite a while and have never had any problems.

It's a very simple design which lends itself to easiness. In the manual it explains everything (not that there is much, just plug it in and step on it). There are two knobs, output and distortion. The output controls the volume, and the distortion, the distortion.

badman86
    just for the record, the distortion+ is a "soft clipping" circuit, though its a marketed as a distortion in actuality it's an overdrive. Distortion = "hard clipping" tends to clip more of the single than an overdrive which leaves intact most of the signal and just clips the very top of the sine wave