M104 Distortion Plus review by MXR

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
MXR: M104 Distortion Plus

Price paid: C$ 72

Purchased from: Long an McQuade

I'm using an Ibanez s through a Randall G3 combo. The sound is very 'bitey' in that it shreds the shit out of the eardrums. This cannot be used for metal. Playing Iron Maiden on this thing is a joke. Maybe a crunch setting would work from the amp but I bought it specifically to give some 80's distortion sounds as a stand alone pedal and plus I don't want to be hopping on my pedals to get a clean sound.

Randy Rhoads style? Pfffft. Try a good amp with good distortion. You will need a really good amp, and if you have one, why the hell would you get this thing? This pedal even through a tubed Marshall (like the one I played in the store)sounds like tinfoil being crushed up against the side of your head. This thing is no good, the Marshall distortion was world's better. I've been playing for 15 years, got a couple better pedals (Distortion 3 by MXR and the valve distortion by hardwire). Bought this because second thoughts led me giving this thing a second chance. I promptly brought it back. This pedal is worse than the Fullbore Metal, and that's saying something.

YouTube preview picture

It looks reliable. It's made of metal. Probably would last 20 plus years.

I couldn't get a good sound out of this pedal. I suppose it is easy to use, but all settings sounded tinny.