M107 Phase 100 review by MXR

MXR: M107 Phase 100

My golden rule with trying new effects pedals is to simply have it be the only pedal plugged in. Looking for a nice, chimey clean sound, I finally decided to plug into a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue with a Fender American Standard Strat, and dialed the settings to my liking. Starting off with the lowest intensity,(the knob all the way over to the right) and the speed at noon, I began to strum a couple chords, and a faint smile grew on my face. I was immediately welcomed by a rich, warm analog phase that my old digital Phaser would never be able to give me. Turning the speed all the way gave off a Leslie Speaker vibe without being too flubby. After jamming around with that setting, I started moving the intensity control over and was surprised at the broad spectrum of sounds I got. I then switched over to a Music Man JP7 BFR to try the pedal with a low B string. After playing some arpeggios and augmented Chord sequences, I realized that this pedal made all 7 strings ring out loud and proud. I then became curious and started experimenting with other pedals along with it. First used a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 Distortion, and then tried a MXR GT-OD Overdrive. The Phase 100 to me is really pedal friendly and works great with distortion and Overdrive pedals. Even more curious, I decided to try the pedal with extreme amounts of gain. With just the phaser, I used and ESP Horizon NT-II with EMG's into a Peavey 6534, only to find that the Phaser which I loved on lower gain settings, became lost in a sea of gain. Backing down the gain over halfway on the 6534, and plugging into a Gibson Les Paul Studio, the phase became more prevalent and I grew happy again at its warm analog sound. Overall the pedal sounds heavenly, but too much gain will drown it out.

If you're looking for a great sounding Phaser pedal without shelling out a ton of money, then the MXR Phase 100 is the pedal for you, and this is coming from a guy who listens to a wide variety of music, from progressive to funk rock to extreme metal, and all in between. A few quick things about the effect, sounds heavenly on no gain to a crunch setting, but of you're looking to use this in extremely high gain situations, (which I couldn't imagine why someone would use a Phaser with high-gain) then you're outlook on this pedal will be different. Overall, MXR hit the nail on the head again and made another great pedal for all of us to enjoy.

MXR is a company that I can rely on not only for good sounding pedals, but their quality into each single one. I have some older MXR pedals, including a Phase 90 from the late 70's and they all still run like they're brand new pieces of equipment. There's no denying it - This pedal is a solid piece of gear

When it comes to MXR Pedals, the phrase "Less is more" comes to mind. With only two knobs, one for speed and the other for phase intensity, the MXR Phase 100 provides easy use for first-timers using the brand. A step up from its little brother, the renouned Phase 90, more tone control options allow a greater variation of phasing for any type of music. Although, if you're one of those pedal junkies who needs to have as much control over the pedal's tone as possible, you might need to look elsewhere

NichOrion
    Quality review; he used different guitars and explained it with different tone settings as well as described how it worked along with different pedals. The insight on how it was treated with higher gain was also quite a valuable piece of info. Pretty bitchin'
    nbonehill
    Great review and very timely. I am trying to decide on which type of phaser would be good for me to use. Can you get the same tones out of the phase 100 as you get out of your old phase 90?