M108 10-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M108 10-Band EQ

Purchased from: Steve's Music

I use it with a Fender Strat through a Fender DeVille 212 with a few pedals in there for good measure. I used to have a Randall G2 series halfstack and I used the EQ to brighten up the clean tones as they were very bassy and dark sounding. Now I mainly use the EQ as a filter to get that "AM Radio" tone used in parts of songs like 'American Idiot' by Green Day and the intro to 'I Believe in a Thing Called Love' by the Darkness. That particular setting is actually one of the example settings in the manual and I have become quite acustomed to it. I like to use this type of heavily filtered effect (achieved by cutting all high/low frequencies while boosting a few key midrange frequencies) while playing the verse for 'Brain Stew' by Green Day as an added texture which gives the song a new flavor. If you don't know what your doing it can become quite a bit of a shocker when you kick it on and get a harsh boost you aren't expecting. You can basically shape it to get whatever sound you desire, or use it as a boost, or whatever your little heart desires.

This is a useful tool no matter what type of music you play. If you care about your tone, it gives you added control. If your amp EQ settings just aren't doing enough it can be a tonesaver. I own quite a few of Dunlop pedals and I haven't really encountered any problems. it's not the type of pedal you're gonna wanna buy if you want a bunch of crazy effects, but if you want to imporve your tone in it's most basic form, an EQ may be a worthwhile investment. I don't see why you'd look any further than the MXR. And also if the 10 band is more than you need, I believe you can get a smaller 6 band. The only real problem is that it is 18v so you either need to use the Dunlop DC brick or the adapter that comes with the pedal; however it is the 18v that provides the level of contol this pedal provides.

Had it about 2 years, never a problem. I use it constantly without a backup. No worries. I don't really need to say anything more about it. Very dependable, the metal casing is pretty heavy duty. It's fairly heavy; feels like it could withstand a beating, or cause one.

This pedal takes a bit of getting used to as it has 12dB of boost and cut for each of the 10 frequencies it governs on top of the gain and volume controls. The manual is fairly straightforward and gives a few examples of setting that might be of use to you. Once you get used to figuring out what sliders need to go where all you have to do is turn it off and on and do the odd tweak on the fly. The LED's in every slider made it easy to see on a dark stage.

the1
    Its a review, not an interview! Thanks, its a great review. Could I get that AM radio tone with a 6 band eq?
    ptownbob
    everything i already knew it was. i was already gonna get this. it's built like a tank.
    solder_jointx
    techmetalftw
    I own this pedal and its pretty badass. I use it mainly as a solo boost by adding some level and a slight bit of mids so it can cut through the mix better. Works perfect, no complaints from me.
    PJplaysguitar
    solder_jointx wrote: Wwhen is someone going to come up with a review for the 6-band EQ? Maybe I should get on that.
    Do you think people who put double letters have a stutter in real life as well?
    TDAJGuitarist
    Ash_Lawrence wrote: Like you need an EQ pedal to play Green Day...
    HAHAHA! No kidding! But anyway...I have the Kerry King issue of this pedal {There is very little difference between the 2.} But this Eq is GREAT! I use it with my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Half Stack and it sounds amazing! It really brings out the best in your tone! And the seperate gain knob is A GREAT little feature!
    julian2k4
    ive been wanting to buy this pedal for a while now, many guitarist use it to improve their tone like slash, randy rhoads used it as well, kerry king. just to mention a few its a really good buy, i cant wait to get mine! PS. yea greenday sucks man
    JorisBlack
    ^you can use an EQ pedal for any type of sound This is a great interview, thanks!