M108 10-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M108 10-Band EQ

This pedal is a very good investment for not only those looking to fine tune their sound but those Who want to get the most out of their amp. I have it in the effects loop of my Mesa Boogie Single Recto and a Fender Frontman 15 (yes I said frontman) using a Epiphone Les Paul/Mexican Strat/Carlo Robelli semi hollow. This pedal can deliver all that your amp/speaker can offer frequency wise. In front of Recto I was not impressed, it didn't have the same clarity and Precision that was present in the effects loop. I want to note as well that I tried putting all my amp eq settings to "noon" and using the MXR to shape the tone but I found it limiting but that may be due to the active eq on the amp. It's best in my opinion to use it to sharpen and fine tune which it does. I used all the guitars on all channels of my amp and it delivers in all styles. The thing that most impressed me the most at first is what it did with my strat and Frontman. I plugged in the guitar and dialed in some very crisp and chimey cleans. I didn't expect much from the amp and never have but I was very impressed. First slider is the 31.25hz, doesn't do anything which for being such a low frequency makes sense with a guitar. 62.5hz and 125hz make the next two and I find them useful for taming boomy bass or for bringing some warmth to the tone if it's lacking. 500, 1K and 2K are the next three and these sliders are very touchy. You just have to nudge it to get a response in sound, I also find these three to be the most difficult to balance as I don't like to scoop my mids. 4K and 8K are sensitive as well and can add the teeth to your high gain or add the crispness to your cleans. I like these controls to sharpen the gain during recording. 16Khz is the second control that is not very useful like the 32.5hz. I mainly use it to cut out some fizz, if you don't have a presence control on your amp this control can be useful to you I would guess. If this control wasn't a part of the pedal I wouldn't be affected that much. Bottom line with this pedal is that it will help you get surgical with your sound and it will maximize the tonal range of your amp and speakers. I wouldn't buy it if you think it's going to turn a MG into a JCM but but you can use it on anything from a small practice amp to a 100 watt tube monster, it works very well with my bass guitar but I must say I'm not that picky about my bass tones. I'm a little worried that I wont be able to accept the tone from my amp without this pedal but I'll have to get over it.

12 db boost or cut. When engaged and disengaged I heard no noise or problems. A very good and durable pedal that can enhance any style. It does what it's supposed to do and I would buy another if it were stolen or lost. I would buy this over the 6 band because of the high frequency control and because of the volume/gain sliders. Anything with more sliders would be a little overkill in my opinion, it has just enough to keep you busy. Overall an excellent investment, if your a tone junky it will keep you busy and if you're a novice it will be beneficial to have to get a better understanding about different frequencies and what effect they have.

Very sturdy enclosure, jack inputs are ok, nothing to be concerned about. Foot Switch gets a pass as well. Sliders are plastic, they're a little bit stiff to move and I like that, they stay in place and if you bump the next one over it wont move. The sliders are also close to the box and do not extend out too far so, if it were to flip over and dragged I don't think they would break off or be affected that much. LED's are pretty bright, should be able to see them on a dark stage if you're sober. There is foam around the sliders in the slots and it should keep out most dust and junk but if you're sweating over it during a gig the insulation might not be a sure bet. Haven't had it long enough or tested it out in trying conditions to give it a 10.

Very easy to use. Slide them up and down and you will hear the difference. Not much to it, I find myself resetting the controls once in a while to really get to know what it can do and what tone I can achieve. The manual has some presets that are ok, might be better used as a starting point but no rig setup is the same and it was helpful I guess.

wesselbindt
    occub wrote: wesselbindt wrote: Lol, this is manufactured by dunlop, here are the rest of the reviews: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/g... cts/dunlop/mxr_m-108_10-band_eq/index.html In America we say MXR, if they advertised it as Dunlop here I would have placed it accordingly.
    In-f3st
    I've been trying it out in a guitar shop, it surely is the worth every single penny
    Quantonyne
    Mine started getting static, I dont know if its a grounding issue...but at full volume you cant hear the static...great buy. I use it for a lead channel boost...it makes my solos melt panties.
    gforce1377
    Just used mine live for the first time tonight and it was very impressive pedal. I tried a few different eqs in the past but this one is the best , the other ones were all to noisy. This pedal really did help me fine tune everything to the tone that i wanted , I would recommend it to anyone looking for an eq
    HavokStrife
    Other than guitar and amp, this is the most valuable piece of gear I have. I mean, how great is a little guy that you can tweak any sort of sound out of your rig with, but then can sit in the back of your amp and never bother you again!!
    guitarmadd
    got mine this morning and if you are in any doubt, forget it, this thing is worth every penny. Unbelievably good and makes my Jackson sing through my Marshall.
    occub
    occub
    wesselbindt But reviews are sorted by manufacturer. Which is simply Dunlop. MXR isn't a manufacturer. It's like saying Stratocaster is a manufacturer.
    I know what you are saying, technically its true but... We dont call it Dunlop 10 band, or Dunlop phase 90 ect, imo its easier to find this way. If it was that big of a deal im sure the mods would have moved/edited it. Who cares? Its just a review.
    fretman5000
    this thing is very quiet if u keep the gain and volume around zero, which is not a bad thing. i dont feel the need to boost the gain or volume on mine. i love this pedal, if ur thinkin of getting an eq, its the best one out there, unless ur looking for a rack or something. def better than the boss