M109 6-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M109 6-Band EQ

I use a Epiphone Les Paul Classic with a TB-4 in the bridge, Peavey 5150 II head, and a 5150 Cabinet. I run the EQ through my effects loop on my head to just clean up my sound. I've also used this pedal through the front end of my amp when I was playing through a Peavey XXL head. So either way the pedal helps out. The pedal can really bring out the low growl in any setup. I use the pedal to boost my low end and boost my mid-highs to highs. I'm not in to the mids all the way down to zero new-metal, but if your looking for that this pedal can cut out the mids too. The pedal is really tricky. You have to get used to working two sets of EQ settings. This can take some time. If your used to having you controls set at low: 7, mid: 4, and high: 6, you may need to adjust to compensate for what the pedal will boost or cut as far as your frequencies.

I've been playing guitar for almost 8 years now and I play a lot of metal and with high gain distortions you can't always get the clarity that you would want. This pedal can help shape your sound and bring out though certain frequencies that make a big difference in your overall sound. The most important thing that I love about MXR pedals is that they are very simple and straight forward. I'm very opposed to most of the digital effects processors out there and sometimes they can be a big mess and full of headaches. Not to mention this pedal is very affordable for a EQ pedal and this pedal is even more simplified compared to it's bigger brother the 10-band EQ!

This thing can take a beating. I've had it far about a year now and the unit hasn't crapped out on me yet. You can pretty much stomp on it all day and it will still keep going. MXR always makes really good pedals. The company understands the importance of durability. The entire line of MXR pedals can be expected to last a long time.

This pedal is really straight forward. It has a heavy duty bypass switch (original MXR 6-band EQ didn't come with a switch), 6 positive feel slider with led indication, and a rugged metal enclosure. The pedal can be powered by just about any 9v power supply for guitar pedals. It's really easy to use the pedal because the 6 sliders are the only thing you have to deal with to mess with your tone. Each slider gives you a boost or cut of up to 18db per select frequency. The manual is pretty straight forward to. There are a couple setups you can try, but it'll probably be awhile before you can use the full capabilities of an EQ if you haven't used one before.

riffryter
    This pedal is amazing. I've played through a few EQ's, and this was the one I liked the best. The control you have over the signal is powerful and straight forward. It can right any problems you're having with loss of tones or help cut frequencies that are blasting through way to powerfully.
    simoT.I.
    this one is way better that his bigger brother 10 band eq. it's my little treasure and with this i can do anything i want. i love its super punchy mids and the low end it gives you for those crazy riffing... sounds awesome
    tom_martin_123
    I prefer this simply because it is just an eq. The 10 band has distortion and volume controls which isn't really what i want. An eq is an eq to me... nothing else is needed.
    menowor
    the volume slide which 10band has is useless i think. the volume slide boosts or cuts all of the freqs. you can do the same thing on 6band. just take all the sliders down or up, it is easy. and gain control does not a necessary thing. it is a eq pedal. not a distortion box. if i want distortion i buy a distortion pedal.
    mynameisdrakex
    boarderx-henry wrote: Will this be helpful to boost my solos or should I look else where?
    Absolutely. I own one, and it works wonders.