M109 6-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M109 6-Band EQ

Purchased from: eBay

This pedal really allows you to dial in your tone. I'm using it with a PRS SE Semi-hollow (mahogany body, 2 humbuckers) into a Vox AC15. The AC15 is bright and chimy, with a very Vintage British tone. If I want it warmer and fatter, I can do that. If I want more midrange bark, I can do that. This pedal is not only great to EQ my amp, it's great when I run it behind my Fulltone OCD to add more mids.

The M-109 isn't noisy at all, even though I've heard that it's 10-band brother is. I haven't had any noise problems with it.

Overall, I'm impressed. I've always heard two main opinions about EQ's on a pedalboard. 1) It's wonderful, allows you to dial in your tone; or 2) It's useless, waste of money. After messing around with this pedal, I've realized that this EQ can tune in your rig to perfection, to make it versatile as it can be.

I play everything from Miles Davis to Slayer, and this pedal will help me get whatever tone I need. If it was stolen or lost, I'd have to get another one, it's just too handy. I leave it on all the time when I play now.

This pedal is built like a rock. It's got a heavy-duty die-cast enclosure, that looks like it's been powder-coated black. It's not a light pedal, even though it's pretty small. I would rely on this pedal to gig without a backup for sure, although it's so handy, you might buy a second one anyway.

This pedal is incredibly easy to use. It has one switch, and 6 sliders/faders. From left to right you have 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, and 3.2k bands. This is the perfect range for the electric guitar, giving you enough control with 6 bands, but not too much to be unwieldy.

Avedas
    Excellent pedal, but if you're willing to spend a bit more cash the 10 band EQ has a gain and volume boost as well.