M109 6-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M109 6-Band EQ

First thing I noticed was how quiet this pedal is. As far a background/white noise is. Quiet with, both, a battery and an adapter. By taking your time, you hone in on basically any tone that you want. 6 bands doesn't seem like much, but you can get a lot out of those 6 bands. Amps that I have used it with so far are my, AC15, TopHat Club Royale, '59 Bassman RI and Champion 600. Guitars that I've used it with are a LP jr and Strat.

I play all kinds of rock, some blues and jazz. For the different types of rock, yes it is a great match. As far as jazz goes. Some of the lower wattage amps are too dirty for it. The MXR is helpful in cleaning up the signal. Making it a little bit more crisp. I like how small the enclosure is and that is is durable. I also like how the sliders have their own LEDs. Really helps in lower light situations. The only complaint is where the adapter jack is located. It is on the side of the pedal. I wish it was on the rear, or farside, of the pedal. If you have limited room and need to use an adapter. Be sure to have one with a right angle connecter. I own two other EQ pedals. They are a Boss GE-7 and an EHX Grapic Fuzz. The EHX is capable of being an EQ only. Comparing it with a Boss GE-7 and an EHX Graphic Fuzz, EQ only. The MXR sounds very natural. It feels and sounds like an extension of your amp's EQ. The two that I mention seem to "mask" or put a band-aid over your tone/signal.

Like all MXR pedals, this one is built like a brick. However, with electronics, you never know. If it is an essential part of your sound. I would have a backup. I never used them, but I'm guessing MXR's customer service is alright. As long as you fill out your warrenty card and keep your receipt. I don't see any reason why fixing, or replacing, the pedal would be a problem.

Very easy to use. If you are inexperience with EQ pedals. A quick read of the manual, will set you in the right direction. One switch for on/off. 6 sliders, each assigned it's own frequency. I'm not going to list the frequencies they are, but they work like this. From left to right. The first two are for the lower frequencies. The middle two work the mids and the last two adjust the treble. Gives you enough contol without going overboard.