M109 6-Band EQ review by MXR

MXR: M109 6-Band EQ

Purchased from: Second Hand

I don't get any unwanted noise from my pedal, and it's in a daisy chain with 2 others. I place the EQ after my Overdrive because on higher Drive settings the signal can become compressed and the EQ brings it back to life. When you know what frequencies you like to boost, and which you cut, you can adjust all of them equally higher or lower for a volume boost or cut, respectively. Some EQ pedals have an overall level out, but it's not needed. This is one pedal, like my noise gate, that is always on.

I love this pedal and I won't need to buy a replacement unless this one goes missing. I think it is better than the MXR 10-Band because it can be powered by 9v instead of the higher voltage needed by the 10-Band. If you intend on playing in a band, this pedal is a must because you can cut the bass from your signal to compliment the bassist. Sometimes less is more!

I bought this second hand, but I wouldn't have expected any better quality if I had purchased it new. It feels solid and the foot switch is sturdy. Some people might find the location of the 9v power annoying as it's on the side of the pedal so you will want to have right angle power adapter. I also have an MXR Smart Gate and the power socket is next to it, so I am able to tidy up cables easily so the annoying location of the power is negated.

Using an EQ pedal comes as second nature to most guitarists, you will know if your sounds needs to boost or cut highs or lows. The good thing about this EQ is that it's compact and doesn't take up much pedal board space but still provides an essential component to your rig. As with any EQ, you will need to play around to get the best settings. That doesn't deserve any points lost so a 10 is an accurate rating.