M115 Distortion III review by MXR

MXR: M115 Distortion III

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

I play an Ibanez JTK1, and use a Peavey Transtube 112 EFX amp. The pedal doesn't give off much noise at all, unless you've got the gain on max and the output at anything above 1 O clock. Randy Rhoads is definitely someone I look up to, and I wondered if I should get the Distortion + like he did, or the newer, distortion III. I played both and I found this one was more suited to my needs. I find it is more suited to me, because it gets quite a bit more gain, but it doesn't make the notes sound less clear. It also gives off some nice sustain.

I play a few different styles of music, but with this pedal I use it for my heavier stuff, the metal. It is a good match for this, although you most likely would want an additional pedal to use for soloing. I don't have any regrets in buying this product, but I think the price is a little much for it. Like said earlier, I compared it to the MXR Distortion +, and I have compared it against a friend's Boss sd-1. Both times I preferred the sound of the M-115.

This pedal seems very reliable so far, I was a little worried at first when I bought it because turning it on felt a little too easy. Normally with this style of pedal (Small, cylindrical metal Switch) I have to be wearing shoes to turn it on, or I get a little pain in my foot. With this one, a new born baby could touch it and turn it on. After I realized this wasn't a mistake, I became very pleased with the way this pedal was built. I have had no errors so far, in my 4 months of use.

One of the key things I liked about this pedal was how easy it was to use. There are 3 dials on it, no need to mess around with 20 to find the sound you're looking for it. You can plug it in and have it sounding the exact way you want it in under a minute. The manual didn't help much, but I don't really think it needed one to be honest.