M115 Distortion III review by MXR

MXR: M115 Distortion III

Purchased from: Grayson's Tune Town

Very easy to get good sound out of it. Great tone and very bright. The manual has only 3 sample sounds, so I would suggest going on YouTube and looking up how people got good sounds, or even better, just experiment yourself! It can only help you just to sit down and play with the damn thing. It has a lot different sounds that you can extract from it. Just play around with it for a while and you will find that it is an exceptional deal for a pedal. I would definitely recommend it for beginning players who have been playing for a little bit.

I mostly play metal and I do not have a "metal" amp and guitar. I have been playing for a year and I have had this pedal for six months. It sounds good for metal. It can do anything from provide a slightly distorted overdrive, to a heavy metal sound. I really like the distortion it gives, but I would like more. IF you play heavy metal I would recommend something much heavier, such as the Dime Distortion or the Boss Metal Zone and stuff like that. Like it says in the product description, it does keep your guitars tone and clarity.

Very durable, brought it to school to perform once and I dropped it taking it out of my bag, not even a chip in the paint. Very reliable, just make sure you have a battery in it for backup in case your cable shorts out, which happened to me once. Battery lasts a long time if you unplug the patch cable on the input side. As long as you don't have Sebastian Janikowski come and kick the thing, it should last a while. Pointers on the knobs are glow in the dark which is really cool because sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night and see three glowing lines on the floor and it makes me think of playing guitar and it helps me sleep.

I mostly play metal (Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Pantera, etc.) and it is an okay match for the genre. It would be a better match for hard rock stuff like the cult and AC/DC and that stuff. I use a crappy Squier Strat and the crappy Fender Frontman 15G. I just don't have enough money to get better stuff and I haven't been playing that long. It doesn't have quite enough gain for dark heavy metal. When I say dark I mean stuff like Slayer and Pantera and other dark stuff. It was my first pedal, and it was a great purchase.