M116 Fullbore Metal review by MXR

MXR: M116 Fullbore Metal

Price paid: C$ 110

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I play a LTD FM-100 into the MXR Fullbore Metal then into a Randall RG75D G3 Plus. This pedal is practically noiseless up until the very highest gain settings. The pedal gives a really tight bottom end and with its high gain settings, your picking nuances still shine through. The noise gate is very helpful. It's actually pretty decent. You can control its cutoff level from inside the pedal. The "scoop" button makes the sound razor sharp by boosting the low and high frequencies. You can still control overall EQ when in "scoop" mode. At the lowest gain settings, you still get a nice thick crunch.

I play mostly rock and metal. This pedal suits my styles perfectly. If I lost it, I'd save up for another one because of it's great sound. I love the tonal varieties you can get out of this pedal, and the noise gate is awesome too. I don't care much for the "scoop" mode. I hate how the adapter input is on the side of the pedal because it's difficult to get a daisy chain to reach it on a pedal board. This pedal has several advantages in comparison with the Boss MT2 metal zone pedal: 1)True bypass, 2)Noise Gate, 3)Better tonality, 4)Smaller size. If you play metal, get this pedal. You wont regret it.

The plastic buttons for the "gate" and the "scoop" worry me a bit. Other than that, I know the pedal will stay together. It's made of steel. I haven't had the pedal long enough to decide whether or not I would need a backup but from first impressions I would say no.

Although this pedal has 6 knobs, it is easy to get a good sound out of it. It's pretty intuitive. You just need to experiment with it for 3 minutes. The most important knob is the "Freq" knob. Use this in conjunction with your "Mid" knob to get a good sound. The manual for this product is pretty straight forward. It tells you what the knobs and buttons do, how to access and modify the noise gate and gives a list of different "ideal" presets if you have humbucking or single coil pickups.

sixstring420
    this pedal is amazing I totally love it. I am playing it through a line 6 flextone-2-XL. just got it today but I am finding that it sounds best on the cleaner or sort of crunch models with the EQ on the amp set to 12 o'clock and use the EQ on the pedal to shape the final tone.
    GnR4evER!
    man this think looks ****in sweet! this is definatley the next peddle im getting!
    Shoji001
    advice for this pedal, start all knobs at 12 o'clock, then tweak from there
    srob7001
    asempiresburn
    srob7001 wrote: This is the worst distortion pedal I've ever tried. Bought it, took it home, tried for a week to get a good sound and to no avail I couldn't get a good tone from it...too digital sounding for my tastes. Pointless throwing a digital sounding pedal into your tube amp. It wonlt sound like a tube amp. Also, the noise gate is crap...it is adjustable but the sweep is way off, either too much gate or not enough...really isn't much in between...if you know what I mean.
    I could not agree more. I hated this thing to be totally honest. It is way too digital sounding. I am playing through a Peavey 5150, and it just makes my amp sound like aluminum foil going through a blender. The gate is a total abomination, but what do you expect for $100? The gate makes tapping next to impossible because it is always trying to cut out, or there just isn't enough. I couldn't dislike this thing more. I think next time I'm just going to splurge and get a good pedal and separate noise gate. On the other hand, I noticed that a lot of people who use this pedal are playing through some kind of digital amp, and if that's the case it may work for you. Just be sure to throw it in the garbage if you ever upgrade to tube, because it will be rendered totally useless.