M116 Fullbore Metal review by MXR

MXR: M116 Fullbore Metal

Purchased from: JB Music (Philippines)

Your creativity with the knobs and your ears will be your friend on this one, with little turn on the knobs, you will notice a huge change in the tone, meaning the pedal is versatile and the tone shaping ability is excellent. Its really up to the owner on how he will get his sig tone, as for me I have my volume knob to 10 or 12:00, mid frequency on 3:00 and the gain on just 10 or 11:00 bass is on 1 or 2:00, and mid 80-100%, and treble is 7 or 8:00, there I have my master of puppets-esque tone, I'm using it with a Jackson JS32T Rhoads with Tesla VR-Extreme on the bridge, connected through my Roland Cube 40XL with a little reverb and delay, the tone is really close to the original Mesa Boogie used by papa-het on puppets, it got so much punch and low-end too. I just don't know how it sounds on a tube amp because I had this thing with tube amps but it sounds good on my friends Randall Dime sig solid state with my same settings. This pedal will totally blow you with the right configuration specially with the solid state amps, I'm seeing some reviews about it being not good on tube amps, unconfirmed, so for me, bottom line, I'm happy with it.

I mainly play classic thrash metal, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax etc., I also play some modern stuffs from Soulfly, Deftones, Chimaira, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, Hatebreed, and more and more metal tracks from my own band, and this pedal serves its purpose, I'm not sad for throwing some 6,000 PHP for it, it's really worth the money. I'm playing for over 4 years now and I still do, especially the palm mute stuffs, I own a practice amp, Roland Cube 40XL, a black JS32T Rhoads and a custom white w/ black bevels Phil Demmel PDX guitar with EMG 81 on the bridge and no pickups at the neck (customized), and t.sunburst Fender American Special Telecaster all stock, and countless MXR peds. I just wish I had an ESP Explorer before I bought this pedal so that it'll be more thrash, or maybe its just me. If someone stole this from me, I'll find that SOB and butcher him to death, cut his head and feed it to the crocodiles, throw his intestines in the lion's den and keep the remains of his skeleton and display it in my room. My favorite is it's noise gate feature, it's not much of course, but at least you can use it whenever you need to. I also love its mid scoop feature, if not with this, I will need to buy an extra 10-band eq pedal for use with my MXR 6 Band pedal just to shape my tone. Actually I came to the local music store to get the ML-2 from Boss, the guys there told me they no more stock, I was about to leave when they told me about this beautiful lady, I fell in love with her at the first sight, I didn't know there was a pedal like this from MXR, when I plugged to the amp and she sang, I took it without any second thought, I was blown away with this pedal really. And I'm not half disappointed, I can get that tone which I wanted from ML-2 and ST-2 without needing to buy a 10band eq. Lastly, I just wish it have some more lights, uhm... You know, just to have something bright and colorful to see while you turn your knobs.

The casing of this pedal is, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) made of light steel, aluminum maybe, who cares, it's built like a battle tank, its so hard that you can throw it at someone's windshield, the windshield is broken but the pedal is still alive, that's how hard it is. I just had this pedal for roughly just a month and I think it will last for a really long time just like any other MXR pedals that I have, the only thing I was worried about is the steel casing, I wonder if it will get rust after a long time. I hope it won't. I don't think I'll be needing a backup if I gig with this one, it's hard as a tank so it's really durable, you can rely on it like you can plug it straight and jam right away, I'll give it a nine because that's just me.

This is a small pedal packed with BEASTLY features, like Volume knob, Mid Frequency knob, Gain knob, and 3-band EQ with bass knob, mid knob and treble knob, which are very organized and noob friendly unlike something metal pedal from a known brand which is not really easy to manage by some newbies. Anyways, going back to the pedal, the control knobs brings drastic change in tone with a little turn, especially the gain and treble knobs, you can get some neat Pantera-esque tones with the gain up to 12 or 1:00 and the treble up to 9 or 10:00 then engage the noise gate button for some clean killer and brutal riffage, roll them back to 10(gain)or 8 or 7:00 (treble) then engage the mid scoop button, and you'll get the orgasmic 80's thrash metal tone, ala Metallica, Testament, Anthrax and D.R.I., old school men. Roll the gain back to 9:00 and you'll get some tones perfect for some alternatives like Seether, Staind, etc. I can also get Slayer's tone in "South Of Heaven", and some Soulfly and Chimaira and Deftones and Hatebreed when I'm on drop C, it's really up to you on how you're gonna turn knobs on this thing to get your tone, this is a pedal packed with different boutique amps, meaning it is very versatile and very customizable, so that's a 9 for versatility and ease of control. You won't to create patches and blah, blah, blah, just turn the knobs and find your tone.

tab789
    as Adam implied I'm shocked that you able to earn $7328 in one month on the internet. did you look at this page Great70dotcom
    Skysc
    ok this pedal is very similar to the Line 6 uber metal .. those arent pedal made to go in front of a tube amp and give sweet tones ... these are in your face pedal thatdrain all the tone from your amp cause its has his own sound . it goes very well in clean solid state amp with a decent speaker . So its no wampler triple wreck or other recto boutique pedal ... thats not his purpose .. and it isnt to be played at cranked level in a band situation .. its a pedla for the bedroom hobbyist who want brutal high gain saturated distortion that he cant get out of tube amp cause he cant crank it . SO this pedal is not for tube amp lover imo .. but more to practice in a low level environement , its not mean to boost a distorted channel of an amp but to be plug it though a crappy solid state amp and see how it transform the sound of a fender frontman or other cheap solid state amp . at very low volume in a bedroom .. you get the most saturated distortion youll ever find . yes it has a big of high and sound digital for many ... but it serve his purpose .
    sumdyude
    I just got this a few days ago, and still trying to find the various sounds. Most of the comments are right that is just for real heavy metal stuff. It's tough to get sounds like Sepultura, Testament, Judas Priest etc. I have the highs off, mid at 9 o clock, low at 9, gain at 7.5 and still this thing is pretty heavy..LOL oh well, i got it for 60 bucks so i'll keep it