M116 Fullbore Metal review by MXR

MXR: M116 Fullbore Metal

Purchased from: Used Craigslist

Getting a great sound out of this pedal is pretty easy. Like I said before you can get a wide variety of Higher gain tones or let off the gain knob and get those buttery Classic rock kind of sound. The noise gate and scoop function are kinda the only reason I bought this pedal in the first place, really makes all the difference having the option of those. I wish all OD/Distortion pedals would have that feature. If you would like to hear this pedal and all its settings check out the video below!

YouTube preview picture

If your looking for that super high gain aggressive Distortion pedal than this one is for you. Usually when using this pedal I will play on the amps clean channel and use the pedal to shape my distortion tone, but you can also use this as a boost on a high gain amp and use the noise gate to get rid of feedback and hum. You can get a great variety of sounds from this pedal with its eq settings (low, mid, high) and use of the mid scoop function. This thing sounds great with my 5150iii (using as a boost only) and my fender deluxe 90 (using on clean channel of amp as distortion pedal). Very good pedal to have in the collection.

The looks of this pedal is very sweet, the lights are also very bright and would be easy to see in a live setting when those functions are on. MXR always puts out high quality long lasting pedals, have been a hugh fan of their work for a long time. You can shape your tone many different ways with this pedal. Would be good for heavy/modern metal to even classic rock and alternative if you dial the gain back a little. There is a lot of gain on tap in this pedal, you can get some very high gain tones.

Playing heavier songs myself, I have made some good use of this pedal. I prefer to play on a clean channel of a amp but have used it as a boost with the gain super low on pedal. When using it as a boost like that, the noise gate function comes in hand very well. If you like playing newer modern metal that is super chuggy/djenty and use this pedal, you can dial that noise gate in to get some super quick chugs that sound nice. When I first got this pedal I didn't think I would get much use out if it but I can see this pedal being on my board a lot more after spending some time with it.