M135 Smart Gate review by MXR

MXR: M135 Smart Gate

Purchased from: eBay

I use a long chain of effects where some are buffered and some are bypass with guitars that use single coil pups. From that alone I'm sure you can tell that set-up generates a lot of sound. The guitars I work with are a Fender Mexican Stratocaster, a Fender Jaguar MIJ (12 years old) and I have a Martin 000-15 that I modded with a passive Pick-up that I play sometimes. Let me just say the Jag feedbacks highly when the distortion especially during old practices before I shifted my amp further away (room was Rem-modeled with more space)the noise gate said to hell with that and not a spec of noise came through until I played. I play out of a Fender Deluxe 90 and a Vox AD100VT combo amp I have to say this thing did it's job.

I play many many styles but if you had to concise it down or give it a label it would be progressive experimental funk rock, but I also do a solo acoustic work as well. If you want to hear it check my profile. I've been playing 9 years going on 10 and my list of gear is just too long to run through. The noise gate is nice and small and after having an NS-2 Noise Suppressor I strongly prefer the noise gate as it alters tone a lot less. My complaint about it is that it still alters tone a bit, but since I got a Sonic Stomp maximizer (review coming soon) it hasn't been a problem. Just to give a heads up please remember it's a noise gate so just like a gate when you strum your guitar some of that noise is going to come flooding back in. It's just a matter of getting the right trigger level. If it were lost or stolen or walked away I'd feel bad, but I'd either buy another one or look for the next one like a noise eliminator (very expensive).

It's built heavily and I would gig without a backup.

The smart gate is a noise gate with one trigger level knob, 3 range modes (hiss, mid, and full), and a hi-trigger button just in case something is super noisy. There really isn't much to figure out, and that's what I like.

Mortalitas
    I have this pedal, and i hate it. Mine is useless, i guess mine is especially bad compared to normal ones or else JF4ever hasnt yet encountered the faults i have. I guess ill make a review when i have the time.
    jwax
    MXR are built like tanks,i like their chours,flager and the EVH Phaser,i used a olderdmart gate and it was good,but i hope this one is better than the older version i gotta test it out.
    wyldemetal1
    I have all dunlop pedals but nothing compares to the isp decimator!! Smart gate rating=4.5 out of 10 ISP rating= 10 out of 10
    deanplayer18
    madnaz
    This doesn't really apply after what deanplayer18 said but Randy Rhoads used the "old" MXR pedals. This was before Jim Dunlop bought them
    sid711
    okay i have a question. i have alot of boss distortion and overdrive pedals, and there is ALOT of noise. Tried the boss NS-2, it was okay. i expected more i guess. I want to try out MXR. So should i get the Noise clamp or the Smart Gate ?
    duzit89
    deanplayer18 wrote: dude not just randy rhoads but zakk wylde, eddie van halen, trivium, kerry king and slayer, dimebag, slash, hell alot of guitarist use the crybabys dunlop and mxr kick as for expensive easy to use pedals
    woopty doo..