M148 Micro Chorus review by MXR

MXR: M148 Micro Chorus

This is an incredible pedal. The chorus effect is very plush and musical. It provides a very full and lush chorus without washing out your original tone. What really got me excited about this pedal was actually how versatile it was! A cool little fact about this pedal is it actually does three different sounds. With the rate down all the way, you get a slow phase type effect. As you increase it the phase gets faster. Around 10 o'clock it turns more into a chorus. This ranges all the way from a slow watery chorus all the way up to a faster shimmer. At around 2 o'clock the pedal takes more of a leslie/vibe sound. The vibe sound is actually my favorite sound this little guy can produce. (Keep in mind that obviously a actual Phaser or Vibe pedal would sound better when judging it but those standards, but the sound is very close to those type of effects). My father owns a TC Electronic Chorus/Pitch Modulator/Flanger. I did an A/B comparison between the two and was blown away. The chorus from the MXR is right on par with the TC. Obviously with the TC there are more options, like depth and width, but the TC is also over $300. I find that the MXR takes care of all the swirly deep sounds that I want. The effect sounds great with clean and dirty channels. I have run humbuckers, P-90s and single coils through a Marshall Class 5, Laney VC-15 and Epiphone Valve Jr, and this pedal sounds great on all of them. The only "complaint" about this pedal someone would have would be the lack of adjustment. If you want more or less of the chorus sound, you're out of luck, since there's no way of adjusting that. This personally isn't a problem for me, I love the amount of effect, but I could see where a player that loves fine tweaking their sound (depth, treble, bass, intensity, etc...) would have a problem with the lack of controls on the pedal. But if you're worried about that you probably already passed up this pedal when you saw it had one knob, lol.

This pedal is simply amazing. It has so many sounds in it that it's crazy that it's all contained in such a small pedal and controlled with only one knob. This will be a permanent staple in my pedal line up. The only reason I gave this pedal a 9 in sound was the fact that it did not have any other controls to shape the chorus. Again, this is not at all a problem for me, but I know other players will not like this. Plus I know how you guys here at UG hate when people give stuff straight 10s). If you want a great solid chorus effect and aren't worried about all the bells and whistles then this pedal is definitely for you.

I could easily depend on this pedal without a backup. It's built incredibly solid and the knob, switch and jacks all seem sturdy. I gig regularly (once or twice a month) and I have owned several MXR pedals and have not had any of them break on me yet. MXR makes good stuff.

One of the easiest pedals ever. One knob for the rate of the chorus effect and an on and off switch. It also has an LED and an AC out. It's the same idea as MXR's Phase 90.

MaggaraMarine
    Why is the user rating so low? This was much better than any other chorus pedal (but Ibanez CS9) that I tried when I was buying this.
    TheZookeeper
    This chorus pedal is phenomenal when you couple it with a decent amp and cab. The other guitarist in my band has one and I can't help but smile when he switches it on. For something that has only one knob, it has a ton of possible sounds and functions.
    nedevsk1
    Can someone tell me the actual dimensions of the pedal ? I need to see if it feet in my pedal board ? Tnx
    ziggystardustex
    It is a cheap build pedal and totally not reliable. There are lots of cheap made Chinese pedals wich are much better for less money. For me no more MXR! During the first gig this pedal stopped working so i lost my guitar signal. After a short investigation the switch was the fault. This cheap made switch is directly soldered to the PCB. High price for such a weak pedal. Sound is okay but it'll boost your sound a bit. No matter how you set your knob, there will Always be to much chorus in your Original sound.
    Way Cool JR.
    I'v had mine for 5 years now and it still works like a champ, not one hiccup in it's performance. I't's not a cheaply built pedal, not even in the slightest and it's totally reliable. I also have the Micro Flanger (for 2 years now) that also performs flawlessly. You just got a freak fluke of a pedal. Any manufacturer no mater how high end can make a few duds here and there. I personally put MXR at the top of the chain for great quality built effects. I love my USA made MXR's