M152 Micro Flanger review by MXR

MXR: M152 Micro Flanger

Purchased from: MXR, directly through personal contact

I am using this pedal along with various guitars; most notably a Fender Stratocaster and a modified Hagstrom Swede, through a Vox AC30. To be completely honest, I feel that this pedal's performance depends to some degree on your other equipment. I absolutely love to enhance my Strat's clean sound with effects, and with that setting, the Micro Flanger certainly doesn't disappoint. However, I feel that it gets a bit muddy with the Hagstrom, especially if I add some distortion.

Also, I find it hard to use this pedal in a subtle way. Even with both knobs turned all the way down, it tends to "take over". Another minor issue I have is that it raises my volume slightly, which is an issue I also have with my chorus pedal. Still, all these things considered, it will do the job for you if you're after a gritty, Van Halen-esque sound.

On a scale of one to ten, I'm afraid I can't give the Micro Flanger more than a six (albeit a strong one at that). I play lots of different genres, from rock to Indie to metal, and the Micro Flanger has never struck me with that feeling of having found a truly amazing pedal. Sure, it gets the job done, and certainly not in a disappointing way. I frequently use the pedal with both knobs in quite a low position, as that is my preferred setting. But listening to all the songs famous for their flanged guitar sound, I find it hard to get as much pleasure listening to this pedal.

My main reason for getting the Micro Flanger was that I had been given a very nice offer from a personal contact of mine, and I was in need of a flanger. And while I'm satisfied with this one for the moment, I'm not sure I would be if this particular effect would be important to me. I'm not going to get rid of it, as it does what I want it to do, but if someone stole it I would probably get another flanger with more options and tone clarity.

MXR's pedals are incredibly well-built, and they all feel very heavy-duty. The metal casing and the cool grey paint will remain unharmed if you're not deliberately trying to break it. I could certainly use this pedal on a gig without a back-up; and if it did break, I wouldn't worry. MXR has an amazing costumer service that has helped me a lot before.

The MXR Micro Flanger is what MXR has to offer the more casual user of flanger, such as myself. Compared to more expensive pedals, this one is very straight to the point; Two knobs, one for rate and one for regeneration, are your only means of tweaking the sound of your pedal. Turning the rate knob clockwise will make the flange effect go "full circle" faster, and cranked up, it gets quite intense. The regen knob controls the more chorus-like qualities of the flanger, and turning it clockwise will give you a gradually richer sound. The manual is of MXR's usual standard, which means that it's small but straight to the point. It shouldn't leave you clueless, thus one can say it fulfills its purpose.

Way Cool JR.
    You won't have the muddy problem with distortion/OD if you use this pedal in an effects loop. Or you can use it in the front of the amp using pedals for dirt instead of the amps. As long as the dirt is before the Micro Flanger this thing sounds phenomenal. The clarity of this Flanger with Dirt and Cleans is as good as it gets IMO. I also love the volume boost myself. I prefer my Flangers and Choruses to have a boost in volume. Its way better than a drop in volume or staying unison. (IMO) This is one of the few pedals that DOES deserve all 10's.