M152 Micro Flanger review by MXR

MXR: M152 Micro Flanger

Purchased from: eBay

There are only two knobs on this pedal: Rate and Regen. The Regen deals with the chorusey side of the effect and the Rate effects the speed. Since you only have the two knobs, it's a simply case of twiddling them around to find the sound you want. Then you just stomp on the switch. So it's very straight to the point. There's also a manual included in case you need further help on working out how to use the pedal... But you're not likely to need it. So anyone could easily use this pedal straight out the box, even if they'd never used one before.

The sound probably depends on the equipment you have available. I use a Jet City 100HDM amp and have to put it in front of the amp since the FX loop hates pedals - so when using distortion, this pedal can sound quite muddy at times. But on cleans, it's rich and wonderful. You can get some great super-spacey sounds from this pedal, but if you have it in front the amp like I do, there is no way at all for it to sound subtle, whether on cleans or using distortion. This can be either good or bad, depending on what sound you want. Also, this pedal boosts the volume when activated. For me, this is useful for cleans and solos.

This pedal has a strong sort of feel to it and I think you could easily throw this around without damaging it. It's probably my most used pedal and while I haven't gigged with it, I can stamp on it all day without any issues so you are unlikely to need a back-up. Since the case is so sturdy and strong, the insides of the pedal are more or less safe unless you intentionally try to damage them. You also get little cover thingies for the knobs, which I suppose counts as extra protection. The short of it is: unless you attack this with a large hammer or blowtorch, you won't damage it and it should last you a long time.

I have my equipment set up to have a sludgey sort of sound but I also use cleans a lot and like adding spacey effects to lead and clean playing. I absolutely love this pedal on cleans, but until I can put it in an FX loop, it doesn't quite work for me when using distortion - but of course, if I had a different amp this would be a different story. It would also be nice to have something with more knobs as it does feel a bit limited. If I lost this pedal, I would probably buy a different one to replace it - but I haven't tried out any other flangers so that would be why. But all in all, I do like this pedal a lot, mostly on cleans. I'd happily recommend it to a friend who wanted to add some flange to their sound.