M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay review by MXR

MXR: M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Price paid: C$ 175

Purchased from: Long&McQuade

This is a great delay for anyone Who is looking for a warm, analog, sound. The pedal can give you up to 600ms delay time, which is quite impressive for an analog delay. Overall the pedal created no unwanted noise, other then when the mod was on, and the pedal modulated the white noise from my amps distortion. Pretty much any setting on the pedal would work great. You can even turn down the mix and the delay knobs to get a reverb-like effect. This pedal can easily imitate the sounds of my favourite artists. According to the MXR website, Brad Delson, Kerry King, Alexi Laiho, Herman Li, Jim Root, Mark Morton, Matt Heafy, Paul Gilbert and Slash all own a Carbon Copy! The mod button is what really sold me on this pedal. The modulation adds more body and depth to chords. You can even set the modulation using the internal trim pots. Overall, a real great feature. The only problem I have is that the delays feed back into to each other pretty quickly.

I play many types of music, from jazz to rock, blues to metal. I've been playing for two years, but don't underestimate me because of that. I know all my scales, improv, modes and such. This pedal is a great match for my playing. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy another one or save up for a time Machine. My favourite feature is the modulation switch. I compared the pedal to Ibanez and Maxon analog delays, and I ended up buying it because of the good price and the mod switch. This is a great pedal, buy it now!

I feel that I can depend on the CC pedal. Its encased in metal and is built like a tank. Never have any of the knobs come loose. The only problem I have is the AC input. The hole is kinda mis-sized and the adapter easily un=plugs it self if the pedal gets bumped. To solve this I had too put some masking tape on it so it would stay in place. I would gig without a backup, but if it died, I'd probably just go without delay for the rest of the night... Not too big of a deal.

This is a another pedal from MXR that delivers that sweet analog sound that guitarists love. The pedal has 3 knobs- Regen, Mix and Delay. The setup is very easy to get used to. Regen is the number of repeats, mix is the amount of signal (delay volume) and delay is the delay time. The pedal is very easy to click on and off. Unfortunately, the modulation swith is hard to reach and is unpressible with your foot. The blue LED light is obscenely bright, and in a dark room you won't be able to see your settings. I easily fixed the problem with a Sharpie. The pedal is small and compact; easy to transport and doesn't take up valuable space on the pedalboard. Overall, really easy to use, other than the modulation switch.

Lt.DanHasLegs
    mine pooped out on me today at a gig.. I'm not sure why, but it did. luckily it is true bypass so I didn't miss a beat. that should be mentioned, its true bypass
    JoelTheShredder
    georgeous pedal. but im on my second. the first worked for about a day untill it just produced no sound. but it was replaced free of charge and the new one has been working perfectly since.
    pensiveintensiv
    Yeah, MXR was having trouble with these, but because it was a pretty wide-spread thing, they accepted and repaired/replaced mine for free. It sucked going 3 weeks without it though xD
    HoweRocks
    This is by far my favorite pedal that I own and without a doubt the best delay I've ever used. Warm and rich with huge oscillations, this thing is beautiful and by far worth the price.
    visiofx
    Alexis Lehto - Alexi Laiho(CoB) ....Jim Roo - Jim Root(slipknot)...whats wrong with this UG editors?
    guitarded32
    Contrary to what Lt. Dan said, this pedal is not true bypass. It is a variant called Mechanical Output Switching. It semi-claims to be true bypass but it is not. It's not too much of a problem, though. I still love mine.