M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay review by MXR

MXR: M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Price paid: C$ 179

Purchased from: Lauzon Music

The Carbon Copy is notorious for its darker, slightly murky repeats, which I is ideal for use with bass. When used on a bass, this pedal produces a tone far superior to that of any digital or analog delay I've tried. It preserves the rumbling low-end perfectly and is useful for creating subtle soundscapes. Used with a guitar, the Carbon Copy delivers gorgeous analog tones which lack the fuzzy noise of other delays such as the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man. The "MOD" button provides a gentle chorusing quiver that does wonders when trying to achieve a spaced-out 60's tone. It does have a fairly short maximum delay time of 600 ms, which is a little restrictive, but long delay times aren't really what you look for in an analog pedal. I've found that the Carbon Copy can emitt a certain hiss when used in front of an amp, but it's compltelely silent in the effects loop.

For the most part, I play ambient music. I only really use the Carbon Copy when playing bass, as it is far superior to any other stompboxes as a bass delay. I often use it with an MXR El Grande, and it handles the fuzz very well. The subtle modulations and screeching oscillations are two features which make the Carbon Copy useful for noisy, atmospheric soundscapes. When I was looking into buying an analog delay, I was considering for the Carbon Copy and the Deluxe Memory Man. I chose the Carbon Copy because of the lessened noise and the bassier repeats; I must say that if I had been looking for a guitar delay, I would probably have gone for the DMM.

If there's one company whose effects are durable, it's MXR. The Carbon Copy's enclosure is a die-cast brick that weighs about a ton. Like other MXR pedals, this oe will surely pass the test of time; I wouldn't be surprised if it were still fully finctional in a few decades. I highly recommend using an adaptor, as it seems to eat through batteries pretty fast.

The Carbon Copy is as simple as a delay can get. It featured only three knobs: "Regen" (feedback), "Mix" (dry/wet), and "Delay" (delay time). In addition, it includes a button which turns modulation on and off (modulation depth & speed can be adjusted via trimpots inside the pedal). The pedal comes with the standard no-nosense, single-sheet MXR manual which is informative but unnecessary considering how intuitive the controls are. It's very easy to dial in the sound you're looking for, and while it isn't as versatile as a Digital Delay like the DD-20 or the DL-4, it delivers everything that an analog delay should.

chrisa123
    Lol the MXR site actually did the Alexi spelling error, not the reviewer.
    guitardWARf
    According to the MXR website, Brad Delson , Kerry King , Alex Lehto, Herman Li, Jim Roo, Mark Morton, Matt Heafy, Paul Gilbert and Slash all own a Carbon
    doesnt gilbert use a boss?