M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay review by MXR

MXR: M169 Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Price paid: C$ 140

Purchased from: local store

I'm running an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra into a Dunlop VP-1 Volume, than, a Way Huge Green Rhino, chained to a Way Huge Pork Loin, and than a Way Huge Aquapuss (I'm a huge fan of Way Huge products, pardon the pun. After the array of Way Huge pedals, I'm running this delay unit. All running into a Hughes And Kettner 25th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo amp. This pedal is not noisy at all, unless you stomp the overdrives first. I'm basically using this pedal as a quarter note delay. The effects can be overwhelmed by the overdrive, at times.

I'm a worship guitarist. This pedal works well for what I play at church. I've been playing for about 5 years, and, I can only get better, with practice. I own an SKB board which powers all my effects, without any issues. I wish I had asked how to remove the rubber bottoms, as they make sticking this pedal to the board very difficult. If this pedal was stole, I would get it again, as I really like the quality of MXR. I love the sounds this pedal can produce, and it's analog, so, I have no problems with it. Its true bypass as well, so no tone loss. The LED is very bright! Like, blindingly bright, on a dark stage, you cannot see the setting of this pedal. Two blindigly LEDs make this pedal hard to see at times. I don't like that it's so bright, but, the blue LED is pretty sweet, so I'll get over it. I compared this pedal to a BBE Two Timer. The Two Timer was expensive at the store, so I bought this instead, no regrets.

YouTube preview picture

I can definitely depend on this sturdy little pedal. I would gig with tghis pedal, without a backup. This little pedal is actually very tiny, fits into the palm of my hand. I step on this pedal alot, and nothing bad has happened. The footswitch seems to be easier to press, as is the case with most pedals. The LEDs are very bright, which is annoying on stage, as you go temporarily blind if you look down at it.

It's very easy to get a good sound out of. The manual is breif, but, no need for it, if you know what you're doing. This is a delay pedal, the sounds are always delayed, but they're good delays. There could be more ways of buliding this pedal, like, put the power plug on the top, as its hard to find spots on my board that work. Gives a reason to be creative.

carl.caldareri
    Got mine in some small shop in Northern California for $98. In Canada this costs $170 with taxes.
    Guitarmaster94
    If you're so inclined you might be able to get your hands dirty and replace the current-limiting resistor on that LED for a higher value to lessen the brightness. That's if it's a real problem, I haven't played through an M-169.