M193 GT-OD Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: M193 GT-OD Overdrive

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Italmelodie

I use this pedal with many different amps and guitars, my main amps being a Traynor YCV40WR and a Fender Twin-amp. my main guitars are either a Gibson SG, a Fender Jaguar, a strat I made myself, an Ibanez RGT42FX or a Les Paul from 1978. I also use a lot of pedals: there are 15 pedals on my board, currently. The pedal is only noisy with single-coils when you put a lot of gain, which should be expected.

Now, as I said, the tone knob has a very wide array of tones. The gain one goes from a slight grit at 7 o'clock to a chunky one at 5 o'clock; by itself, it's very similar to the gain channel in my Traynor amp.

As a stand-alone pedal, it's very versatile, can go from almost clean to very gritty. However, as a clean boost, I wouldn't recommend it as much; there's a noticeable volume drop when you get the gain below 9 o'clock. You can boost an overdriven amp with this pedal, but you'll have some gain from it.

However, I don't use it as a boost, most of the time, rather as a stand-alone. When I boost my overdriven amp, it tightens it up, but adds some extra distortion; when I use it with my big muff, it can give a huge fuzz increase, which is pretty interesting in some cases. 8 for the volume drop when gain is too low.

I play alternative rock, between Muse and the Silversun Pickups, passing through a lot of stuff. I don't play very agressive music, but when I do, it still works perfectly. I've been playing for a few years, and when I was looking for an Overdrive pedal, this one called for me. If it was stolen, I definitely would buy it again.

I love it's versatility, and I simply love the tone it gives; sometimes, when on my computer, I still strum open strings on my guitar just to hear its sweet crunch. What I hate is the stiff switch, as well as teh volume drop when the gain is too low

I compared it to a few overdrives, mainly the Maxon and Ibanez tubescreamers (808 and 9), the DigiTech bad monkey, Boss OD-3 and SD-1, EHX double muff, and I really liked this one the best, it had the most natural tone and it was the only one really able to be used as a dirtbox without sacrificing tone quality.

8 for a pedal that's perfect for me, but maybe not for everyone (have to be objective there). I'd give it a 10, but since most people use Overdrive pedals as boosts, I have to drop it a little bit so this review actually helps.

I definitely do depend on it; I never have backups for my pedals when I gig, if shit happens, I'll just continue without any effect. However, this one is very reliable, it's built pretty solidly, and it has never failed on me. The Switch is very stiff though, you will hurt your toes if you play barefoot. I always have slippers or shoes though, so I'm all right =)

10 for a perfectly well built pedal, that's never failed me within the year and a half I've owned it.

The pedal is actually pretty easy to use, 3 knobs: tone, volume, gain. The knobs are pretty self-explanatory and cover a wide range; the tone knob particularly, goes from a very warm low-end to a shrill high-end, and everything in-between. The manual gives a few examples, as MXR manuals always do, but it's not very useful. 10 for the fast learning curve.

ProgFolk12
    Nice rig, and review too A mate of mine has a GT-OD, I really like it, I'm very tempted to get one to replace of my Dano Cool Cat Drive, which is a nice OD, but a bit too much like a dist for me, doesn't really work well as a boost at all. I'll defintely be checking this out
    Darkflame
    i think it works well enough, just try it and you'll see ; i really wanted to do a review, because way too many people review this kind of pedals when they use MGs and spiders as main amps
    Mr.Feather
    I currently have a Spider III. If I use the GT-OD, will it improve my tone? Or will it sound awful? I hear things like that don't mix well with amps like the spiders. Also, I'm getting a pod x3 soon, mainly for recording (about 90% of its use will be recording). Will this gt-od work well with that? Or is it pointless investing in one?
    ProgFolk12
    It's probably pretty pointless. OD pedals as a general rule don't work as well with SS amps, or at least modellers
    Darkflame
    ^i wouldn't say such things, this pedal actually used to give a great tone to my ibanez ibz10g practice amp when i still used it, it can do wonders to a solid state amp. however, no pedal will work well with a spider 3, and i've experienced this. i played a gig a week or 2 ago with a band, and the singer of that band played through a spider. he was using a boss multi effects unit, and his tone was just plain bad.
    TheAbsentOne
    All the Spiders I've played pretty much suck all the tone out of your sound, and when you add in an effects pedal, it gets even worse. Pedals can work fine with SS amps. I have had 4 SS amps now and I've used a few pedals through all and work fine, of course an exception being my Roland Cube 30 unless I just use a pedal with the clean channel, and not any of the lead channels.
    hobozach
    Coming from someone who has tried all the big name amps, such as the Peavey 6505/5105, Fender Tweed and Twin, Messa Boogie Trip and Double Rect., Marshall JCM800, and all the new modeling amps like the Spider series, Peavey Vypr, and Vox w/e its called >.>, running a Line 6 Floor POD Plus through(I'm awaiting the flaming) a Line 6 Spider III 30 watt(by itself makes me want to make to shoot myself when I hear it by itself...) and it sounds pretty close to the amps it models, which, is coming through an SS, a modeling SS at that. Of course I run it through the clean channel on neutral EQ settings with the occasional MID boost during practice, but thats how multi-FX work, and it works pretty well. Just saying, you can find good tone in any amp with the right FX, even if it is a multi-fx.
    Darkflame
    ^i'll agree for the modeleurs though but really, a multi-effects through a modeler is not exploring the mfx's full potential, it won't sound as good on a modeler than on anything else. it would actually be better to just put the mfx in the PA system if you gig with it
    mrx2n
    im using a metal muff with top boost and i was wondering if i should get the OD pedal to boost it or will wit work well with a distortion pedal. my amp is pretty useless as it is a clean channel amp and im looking for a nice oomph.
    MaggaraMarine
    ProgFolk12 wrote: I don't want to start anything and I'm not saying you can't use OD's with SS amps. But GENERALLY they sound better either when pushing a tube amp for more grit or tightness, or on the clean of a GOOD Solid state/valve. I've never found a modeller that takes OD's well. My old Cube just sounded rubbish with an OD pedal in front. I quite like pods, they have some decent models. And I agree for low level practice you can get some good tones out of them
    Yeah, my Cube sucks with OD/dist pedal too. Of course I can use the aux input if I want to use it as a speaker for my multi fx.
    Bluwolf14
    bluegravity
    Bluwolf14 wrote: I used this pedal with a Krank Rev1+ and had high expectations. The problem is that the Krank's distortion completely annihilated the GT-OD's distortion coverage when I played the GT-OD through the clean channel. I then tried using the pedal as a booster, putting the gain to a bit higher than 1, then the output to full. This did not work well, all it did was make the amp have feedback and a bad tone... Any help would be appreciated because my favourite guitarists use this pedal and I want to know how they make it sound so perfect.
    They make it sound good because they have the top of the line guitars and amps, and its a bad idea to set the output to full or you definitely will get feedback. Try without setting the output to full, or get a dedicated boost pedal if you aren't going to use this as distortion. Only makes sense.
    evaa@sbs.co.kr
    if you hear nothing but feedback noise out of this pedal hooked on as a gain booster, try setting the tone control knob on the extreme left side. I do love this pedale and most of time use it as a gain booster setting tone knob almost down to zero level and it works perfectly without losing tonality nor hissing. From this position, plz increase the high frequencies appropriately to your taste! I bet you'll be totally satisfied : I've been using this pedal like above with the distortion pedals below and none of them showed any problem with noise. Rat, Rat2, Keeley Rat2, Vox Satchurator, Way Huge Fat Sandwich, Suhr Riot, TC dark matter distortion, Radial London, Mad professor Might Red, AMT M1(pre amp) note : AMT M1 pre amp and GT-OD is a great combination giving you very clean and tight distorion sound being careful about setting tone control when you use M1 just as a stomp box not a pre amp. Set bass and mid knob on M1 to the full level and both tone knobs of M1 and GT OD to zero level and adjust the tone level firstly on your amp and then pedals. Sounds very compressed but endless sutain!