M222 Talk Box review by MXR

MXR: M222 Talk Box

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

The M222 is extremely easy to use and get good sounds out of it. Just hook it up at the end of your pedal chains and plug in the tube and you're good to go. Shaping your mouth to alter the tone takes some getting used to but after watching a couple you tube instructional videos you should be able to pick it up. The manual is pretty basic, the pedal only has 3 knobs (Gain, Tone, & Volume) so the operation is basic. The only real issue with it is that you may need to learn some Frampton to appease the crowd at a show.

This pedal sounds monstrous, every bit as good as the Heil Talk Box without the hassle of extra cables. I originally got this for my cover band pedal board and it soon found it's way on to my main board. I play mainly Hard Rock and Metal music and it just adds flare to intros/bridges and just about any where you can slip it in tastefully. The pedal it self doesn't give off much noise, certain guitars can cause it to have feedback but that just needs a gain adjustment on the pedal. The tonal possibilities you can achieve with it after some practice are amazingly vast.

The M222 is very well built with a heavy duty chassis and components the pedal is built like a tank. I've played hundreds of shows with this beast on my pedal board and it's never given me a problem. Even though I have a bit of a heavy foot the pedal takes all the punishment I can give it without any issues. The tube does need some cleaning and maintenance after you play with it. Hygiene might be an issue if you don't clean the tube after use, don't be that guy. The finish on it is a basic silver and hasn't worn any where but the MXR logo near the switch, as I said it's a tank.

My overall impression of the M222 is that it's a great improvement on a classic and iconic pedal. My band plays quite a bit of Alice In Chains covers and the ease of use and set up makes for a way better experience. I've never played a show with it without the audience in awe over this pedals sound. I love the ability to use the pedal on it's own without an amplifier or P.A. system. The built in driver allows you to practice with it in any room of the house without hauling up an amp head like the older versions. The only thing that can be an issue is the attachment to a mic stand and the fact you need a second mic. I've built a custom mic stand with a second mic clip and track for the tube to run up.

Compared to the other talk box' on the market, this one blows them all out of the water. It's more versatile and less hassle than the older Heil models and better quality than the other brands have come out with.

Like I Is
    Very nice and well written review. I've never been a fan of talk boxes; I think they're kind of a gimmick. You already mentioned Frampton and Alice, which are the only two bands most people associate the talk box with. So at the end of the day, you're spending $170 bucks on a pedal that you'll use once, maybe twice per gig? Doesn't seem worth it. For that kind of cash, I'd rather buy something that has more uses. But still, nice review!
    Lambda12
    Thanks for the Kudos. You are right it is a very specific pedal for its uses, if you can't find a way to write with it (or you're not in a cover band). I find it's great to add a bit of colour to bridges and intros and if you're not a singer to even make a riff with it. Plus you can always piss off your drummer by swearing at them in that distinct robot like voice.