M66 Classic Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: M66 Classic Overdrive

Great sound to this pedal and does exactly as it says: It's a classic overdriven sound, similar to that of Kiss, AC/DC or any rock n' roll. It's very versatile; I use mine to mix with the distortion of my Line6 Spider III combo to smooth out the distortion and get a more "full" sound. Crank this thing with some amp DST and you'll get some screaming gain. This thing will also increase your harmonics dramatically when you boost the tone knob up, combined with some amp distortion. Can also use this over a clean setting as well to get just plain drive. The pedal does give some hiss when added with the signal, but nothing horrible. If you're adding this in your chain with a few other pedals that you'll be running at the same time, you might want to stick a noise gate at the end of your chain. Overall, just a great sounding overdrive, not too noisy, and lots of possibilities.

Overall, the pedal comes off as a great buy. It sounds great, it's durable, and to my surprise and amazement, it was Cheap! Only $30 brand new for a great overdrive, which in every way is as good as a Boss or other comparable OD stompboxes. This pedal works perfectly for the punk, rock, and metal that I play. It's got a great sound and can be used for just about anything. Perfect for blues or some old rock n roll, as well as newer styles as well. This pedal's definitely worth the few dollars you'll spend on it, plus it has this sweet green paint job with the classic graphic on it. I would for sure replace it if something happened to it since it sounds great and is probably one of the cheapest overdrives out there. Compared to other pedals, it performs as good if not a bit better, and the price is right on this thing. That's what I love. Trust me, great buy, no regrets.

Very dependable, as are all MXR pedals. Built in the same box as all the small stompbox MXRs, super durable, and solid as a rock. Also very lightweight, which could be good or bad, depending on if you mount it to a pedal board or not. I haven't gigged with it, but I'm 100% sure it can withstand heavy stomping and beating. Don't worry about this thing breaking within the next twenty years.

Very basic pedal, same operation as the Boss SD-1; has Gain, Tone, and Level knobs. Just dial in the amount of each depending on the sounds your looking for and your good to go. Comes with a manual, probably don't need it, but the pedal also comes a few presets suggestions, as do most MXR pedals. Doesn't come with a power supply, but runs on a 9 volt battery if you don't have a supply. Probably the easiest pedal I've ever used. Just chain it up, turn it on, and dial in.

Talicom
    Two things wrong with that: Its a spider and you shouldnt really mix two distortion channels together for a good sound.. especially Line6.
    He's not mixing two distortion channels. He's overdriving one. It's perfectly okay, if not intended, to use an overdrive pedal in front of a distorted amp. It works a bit better on tube amps but it is just as viable to do it on a ss amp. As for the suckage of Line6, I have no argument against that.
    admer77
    i think it's pretty lame of you folks to be blasting this guy for the gear he's using; he's just trying to inform everyone of the sound/ use of this pedal. @ iliketone- the you have to take the circuit board out of the pedal to access the switch. it's on the upper left- hand corner once you've removed the baord and flipped it over.
    n00barmy
    J.J.G. : IYanoplathizoI wrote: I find that distorting an overdriven ss amp makes the sound smoother. im pretty sure you meant the opposite. doing what you said results in insane clipping
    Yeah, you'd wanna overdrive a distorted amp NOT the other way around; that would be like using a one blade razor and using lemon juice as aftershave.
    celticstorm84
    fender--player1 wrote: sorry, I stopped reading when i saw the word "spider".
    and took the time to comment...makes sense.
    TheAbsentOne
    That's justifiable though. I don't think you can fully review a piece of gear ran through any modeling amp, especially a Spider. When I'm reading reviews, and I see those dreaded words "Line 6" and it isn't followed by Flextone or HD, and it's followed by the even more dreaded word "Spider", I stop reading.
    JBailey23
    If it'll make yall stop whining I have a JCM 2000 i'm using with it so as soon as i get more acquainted with the sound i'll write a review for this pedal. So far i'm not regretting my purchase. I was A/B-ing this thing along side a zakk wylde OD and I'm a huge Zakk fan...so thats gotta mean something...
    fretman5000
    btw there arent any pix of the pedal so the one up there isnt the actual pedal i reviewed
    jammy827
    TheAbsentOne wrote: When I'm reading reviews, and I see those dreaded words "Line 6" and it isn't followed by Flextone or HD, and it's followed by the even more dreaded word "Spider", I stop reading.
    and the pocket pod thingys
    jammy827
    jeze! how is this so cheap? second hand? well it must be really they don't make these any more they've been replaced with the GT custom shop od pedal..?
    celticstorm84
    I found using an OD helped when I had a solid state Line 6. Helped the response a bunch and seemed to breathe a little life into things. And hell, for the price of this MXR it doesn't seem like any wrong could be done.
    J.J.G.
    EpiExplorer
    PeteAtkins
    I haven't been able to find one of these pedals, I live in the UK. Would love to have a go with one
    david-vbhc
    I have a lot of problems with this pedal and maintaining low end. Signal chain is as follows: gibson sg/ od pedal/ boss ns2/ crate shockwave 350(gt3500)/ fullstack of b52 ported cabs @ 4ohms together