M66 Classic Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: M66 Classic Overdrive

This pedal sounds amazing. I run a custom built guitar with Kent Armstrong humbuckers into a Crybaby, this pedal and then into a 15 watt Laney tube amp. I use this pedal as a boost on my standard Overdrive channel and it does that wonderfully. I turn the level up to about 3 o'clock and the gain back to 9 o'clock with the tone a little under halfway. This gives a great smooth sound that takes the highs out of the sound and adds tons of sustain. You can add more sustain and grit by turning the gain and tone up. I prefer to turn the tone down, since the Laney is already bright, but the pedal can be very bright or very dark depending on how the tone is set. Each of the controls are very responsive and will give you AC/DC type crunch to Hendrix like fuzz with the tone all the way down. I feel that this is best used as a boost rather then a stand alone overdrive, but it has a very good tube like sound through a clean channel too.

I play Blues Rock and this pedal works perfectly for that. It is also able to reach metal type sounds with the help of the amps overdrive, so it has a lot of sounds to tap into. I have been playing for 6 years and have owned many overdrives. I acually sold my Hardwire Tube Overdrive that was $99 because this sounded much much better! I have a VHT Special 6, Laney 15 Tube Combo, and a Marshall DSL 100. The MXR sounds great with all of them and acually adapts the sound of each of them. This pedal is not only one of the best on the market, but it is about the cheapest! If it were lost or stolen I would deffinitly go buy a new one. If you are looking for an overdrive, or want one that sounds better then the one you have, you should go out and get this pedal.

This pedal is very very solid and I have no fear of it breaking. I've used it on every gig I've played since I got it without backup. It is encased in a very rugged case and the jacks are very solid. I've dropped it several times with no problem when I plugged it back in. The paint didn't even chip. The only slight problem I have is the footwitch. It seems a tad bit weaker then I would like, but I can't say anything bad about it because it has yet to break on me.

This pedal is very easy to use. Just like any other Overdrive it has a Level, Gain and Tone control. Each of these knobs are very smooth and work well. It is supposed to have a Switch inside of the pedal, but I haven't bothered to pull the pedal apart to get to it. The only bad part is replacing the battery, because you have to unscrew each of the four screws in the back plat to get to it. This is true for almost all MXR products, so I can't complain too much.