M66 Classic Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: M66 Classic Overdrive

I'm using it with my Warmoth guitars (all Mahogany, SD Distortion pickups, 1 volume 1 tone), and Mesa Triple Rectifier amps. The M-66 can get noisy, but it's nothing that shouldn't be expected from an overdrive.

The is pedal is a perfect example of Dunlop and MXR's unspoken motto "Give them the easiest pedal to use, make it sound great, and but let it be open for tweaking." Upon further inspection online, I found that there is a switch inside the pedal (has to be taken out of the housing), that switches the pedal between the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, and the MXR GT-OD, further adding to the idea that Jeorge Tripps was involved in the creation (look at several Way Huge pedals, they have inside set and forget switches and pots). I will be going to Radio Shack in the morning and getting a toggle switch to access the switch outside the pedal. Overall, one of the best sounding and best playing pedals that I have found.

YouTube preview picture

I bought it as a temporary replacement for a Tubescreamer that died, about 5 hours before a gig. I went and gigged with it straight away, and I can't believe that GC isn't charging more for it. The durability is unquestionable. If it broke, I would replace it immediately, but I don't expect to anytime soon.

Right out of the box, it sounded great. I feel that Jeorge Tripps (creator of the quirky Way Huge pedals, now a consultant at Dunlop) had a hand in it, because the pedal is very interactive, and makes you want to play it.

nickyjames123
    i have been using this for 2 years. take it apart and there is a switch on the power board that changees it to the zakkwyld ovedrive. i guess it saves mxr $$ to put the same electronics in all their pedels. i like the zakk setting tho, its higher output