M78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion review by MXR

MXR: M78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion

Purchased from: Guitarcenter.com

I have a Marshall MG100HDFX with a Fender Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and an Ibanez S Series. With the strat it sounds ok, the Les Paul sounds great, and the Ibanez is alright. With the distortion cranked, you get a glorified Overdrive basically. It's good if your playing songs that don't require a great amount of dist. But for me it could have used a little more umf. It sounds amazing as a amp stack tone, if it had more distortion it would be the only pedal I would need. One bad thing is that with my Wah pedal all the way down it gives this really bad high pitched and loud feedback. I would say it's a deal breaker. Although its hard to find a pedal that doesn't.

I play everything from blues to heavy-a-s metal (Emmure, Molotov Cocktail) and its good from anything from Air Supply up until Nirvana. Anything heavier... Go with something else. If I lost it I would look for something else but if fits your genre of music, GET THIS PEDAL.

It seems really durable and I don't see any need to have a backup. It's build to last for sure. It's an MXR for god sake's! I've only used it for a few months but I can tell it will last a while. It has a metal housing the you could throw at your asshole singer and still use it cranked up so you don't have to hear him cry!

It's very easy easy to set up, adjust the tone and amount of distortion and you're set! The tone knob works really well and there are many different tones you can get with the turn of a knob. It sounds great no matter how you set it up all though it doesn't fit every genre.