M78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion review by MXR

MXR: M78 Custom Badass '78 Distortion

Price paid: € 75

Purchased from: http://www.guitarshop.ro/

As I mentioned, it is very easy to use and is ready to rock with just a few tweaks. As I noticed, it does sound considerably different with every amp, but you will get good rocking tones. Best tones so far I got out of tube amps (like Orange Tiny Terror and Vox AC30) it comes in an elegant black box with good information and presets, all kinds of catalogs and infos on how to set it up. What I like most about it is how present it is and how it cuts in the mix with the whole band. Thick, mean, clear distortion.

I play a mix between alternative, post-rock and psychedelic music and it suits the heavy parts of my playing perfectly. I've been using it with a variety of amps, both solid state, tube amps and hybrids. From what I've heard and experienced with this pedal, the richest and most pleasant response you get is when combining it with tube amps (Orange, Vox, Marshall, Peavey etc). Again, that is a personal observation, it seems like the transistor amps I used it with tend to add a lot of mid-range frequencies that aren't always very pleasant (I'm talking about power chords, strumming and rhythmic parts - again, a personal favor). I wouldn't say it's noisy, but it Will feedback loudly on highest gain setting when being close to amp.

Although its light weight, the aluminum casing seems and is pretty sturdy, it will withstand shocks and/or drops (have experienced light drops, works perfect). It's a straight-forward simple pedal with tree knobs and a switch - Volume, Tone, Gain and a Crunch button. It's loud, mean, but clear and will give aery wide range of distorted tones, from mellow overdrive to heavy distortion. I would rely on it, either in terms of functionality, sound, hardware and I would consider buying another one if it were stolen.

Again, it's a good match for the style I play - somewhere between alternative, post-rock and psychedelic. I'll post a link with how it sounds with the full band below this section. I don't think it ever let me down ever live or while rehearsing. The only two problems I noticed where the led's. The main red one, two or three times in two years stayed on even though I shut the pedal down. This short incident didn't last long so I don't think it is a reason for worry. The second aspect is the second blue led that is very bright and powerful and might become a slight problem on dark stages, as it can obstruct the view of the control knobs. This problem can be solved by exposing the pedal to a light source so the light sensitive material on the knobs can be charged (very helpful btw).