MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver review by MXR

MXR: MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver

Purchased from: Union Music

I use it on the end of my chain, and in front of a big muff, set at 3 o'clock or full. The muff gets a great gain boost, as distortion is boosted if the boost goes in front of it. This gets an excellent jack white tone. When not using the Muff, I use the MC-401 to boost my neck pup solos for Dave Murray tones and better balance. It gets noisy at higher settings, but gets fixed with a noise gate. Works well with both clean and distortion channels.

This pedal is the best at what it does, in my opinion. It gives subtle to enormous amounts of volume boost, with absolutely NO TONE CHANGE. This is my favorite feature, if you can call it that. It is also true bypass, so it causes even less tonal change. I also like that it's small and gives more room for other pedals. I'd buy it again, although a hundred bucks a pop is hard to pull off (for myslef, anyway), but is definantly worth the money.

The MC-401 built like a tank, just like other MXR pedals. It won't die, no matter how many times it gets dropped. I've dropped the pedal several times, and can always depend on it to give the volume boost I need. I do not and will never need a backup for it.

This is the easiest pedal I have ever used, and other than other clean boosts, the easiest to use in general. One knob for boost, a switch for on and off. There are no curveballs with this pedals. The manual it comes with has no use whatsoever, as the function and volume settings are right on the pedal.