MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver Review

manufacturer: MXR date: 08/24/2016 category: Guitar Effects
MXR: MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver
MC401 Boost/Line Driver The MC401 is simple in design but superbly effective in solving a variety of mis-matched line level and signal conditioning problems that can occur when combining effects.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 8.7
 7,581
reviews (3) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 08, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Easiest as can get. This is a booster that REALLY doesn't affect your tone. The best features about it is that you can power it with 9v/18v adapters. I used it with both and found that you don't need more than the 9v. The 18v has a very dramatic effect on the level of boost. It almost duplicates the level (in comparison to the 9v plugged in). 1 button for on/off and one button for the amount of boost. // 10

Sound: The tone remains clear while this unit is on. A nice feature I didn't think of is placing it before distortion pedals (specialy the fuzz face) where this unit just makes the differance between solos and rhythm. When its on (because of the clean boost) the other pedals react to it as if youve just turned the level of the guitar up which means a dynamic sound without playing with the level of the guitar itself... place it after and just get aclean boost. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is an extremely reliable effect due to the on off Switch which is heavy & the blue super-strong led it has for on/off. This unit simply does the job. You can get any amount of boost you need from it with the 9v (if you need more you can always plug it with an 18v and double the amount). This should be a main boost pedal and not to correct lost signal in chained effects because it just does more than needed for these corrections!. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles and I have yet to come across a situation where this pedal can't perform. Its sound is so clean that I use it with acoustics and electric guitars without any problam. The pedal also look great and the black design with the blue led makes it the prettiest pedal on my board for sure. This is the perfect booster, without a doubt. // 10

MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on july 27, 2012

Purchased from: Union Music

Ease of Use: This is the easiest pedal I have ever used, and other than other clean boosts, the easiest to use in general. One knob for boost, a switch for on and off. There are no curveballs with this pedals. The manual it comes with has no use whatsoever, as the function and volume settings are right on the pedal. // 10

Sound: I use it on the end of my chain, and in front of a big muff, set at 3 o'clock or full. The muff gets a great gain boost, as distortion is boosted if the boost goes in front of it. This gets an excellent jack white tone. When not using the Muff, I use the MC-401 to boost my neck pup solos for Dave Murray tones and better balance. It gets noisy at higher settings, but gets fixed with a noise gate. Works well with both clean and distortion channels. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The MC-401 built like a tank, just like other MXR pedals. It won't die, no matter how many times it gets dropped. I've dropped the pedal several times, and can always depend on it to give the volume boost I need. I do not and will never need a backup for it. // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is the best at what it does, in my opinion. It gives subtle to enormous amounts of volume boost, with absolutely NO TONE CHANGE. This is my favorite feature, if you can call it that. It is also true bypass, so it causes even less tonal change. I also like that it's small and gives more room for other pedals. I'd buy it again, although a hundred bucks a pop is hard to pull off (for myslef, anyway), but is definantly worth the money. // 10

MC401 CAE Boost/Line Driver Reviewed by: Slash_metal, on august 24, 2016

Purchased from: Online Retailer

Ease of Use: It has one Dial. It has one button. Simple, easy, effective! Stick it after a distortion on a clean amp for a volume boost. Stick it in the FX loop to boost your driven amp channels volume. I know this is baby stuff here but I remember researching boosts for the first time and nobody was mentioning that it won't give you a huge volume boost for leads if you have a distorted heavy sounding amplifier and you stick it through the front end of the amp due to the compression of distortion. Try it clean first guys, as with any pedal get your amp clean so you can really hear what the effect is doing then adjust your eq and dial in your tone to work with it. There's no jargon on different things that it can do, it's a fantastic volume boost or signal buffer. // 10

Sound: It's a clean boost pedal, it takes your sound and adds up to 20db of boost to the circuit. You can run it a couple of different ways, some use it through the FX loop to create a volume boost, myself I run it through the front of the amp. It's stacked neatly into it's place on a pedalboard sandwiched between various effects and hands down is one of the superstars of the board. I like to have my amp set clean as I can get it and get my gain from various distortion and overdrives (Xotic SL Drive, Wampler Catapult at the moment). Engaging the pedal with a distortion running on the floor gives me a noticeable volume boost (you could also put it before the distortion to give it a big kick before distorting). This setup gives me a few interesting things with the MC401, for two small examples I'll either have it set to give me a volume boost for main leads, or I'll turn it down to 0 and I get a slightly bigger kick to my notes on background lead work thanks to the buffer (not massively noticeable but you'll feel it in your playing). It's also great if you're in a two guitar band and you're competing with the other guitar player for volume (Though you'd argue that efficient EQ on both of your amps will fit the purpose as well) you can set yourself to boost for lead or slight boost to fill the gap left when playing rhythm behind the other guitar players lead. All in all though guys and girls, it's a clean boost. If you like your tone and just want it louder, look no further. I have to give a perfect score because lets be honest it does exactly what it's meant to. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Designed by Bob Bradshaw these things are built to last. The switch button is a very satisfying clunk that will withstand heavy abuse, the dial so far has been kicked more times than a football in a playground but still no issues, no crackle, no problems. I've had it on my board for over a year now and performing guitar for a group that does not stop travelling and playing shows in all kinds of conditions this pedal has never let me down, I doubt that it ever will. It is built like a tank and survives my big feet jumping on it every day. I don't have a backup because I've not faced any issues with pedal what'soever, it's a fantastic little brute. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great little bit of kit to add to your onstage equipment. It's heavy duty, all black (must for guitar players) with a bright blue LED that you will see across the stage under thick fog and bright sunshine (we all have that pedal when you play an outdoor sunny day that you cannot tell if its engaged or not). I have been playing the electric guitar for 12 years now, working as a musician for the last 6 doing various band works and session work and it's one of the most useful pedals in my arsenal, though it only has one dial and doesn't change your tone, you can alter your place in the world of competing onstage divas. If it were stolen I would hands down buy another tomorrow. I tried a lot of different boosters before this one and even though there was some great competition (namely Keeley Katana, TC Spark, MXR Micro Amp) I preferred this to the lot due to the pure unadulterated boost, I mean I like my guitar tone already why should I need to change it if I want it louder? I don't want to give it a perfect score again but it doesn't beat around the bush, as Ronsil would say... it does exactly what it says on the tin. // 10

Comments