ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive

Price paid: C$ 119

I'm running this through a Fender Blues Junior with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard which is my main guitar and I also have a Fender Standard Stratocaster. The pedal can get very noisy on single coils, but yet most pedals do so that should be a given. The Wylde Overdrive is my main rock tone on my rig, I'm also running two tubescreamers, one a ts9 and a ts7 along with a Line 6 echo Park, MXR Phase 90 and Dunlop Original Crybaby. Pretty simple rig! You don't get Zakk Wylde's tone out of this at all, it may help you get there but it definitely will not get you his main Marshall tone. It gives you more of a good Marshall or orangy crunch with a good amount of sustain. I love this pedal to death, plus it looks badass!

I play hard rock with my band and it's definitely a good match. I feel I've developed my own tone instead of copying someone else's. I've been playing a total of 8 years and I've been gigging steadily for 2 years now. I'm only 15 years old and this is a relatively cheap pedal for the tone you get out of it. If it was stolen or if I lost it, I'd go out and buy another one considering the great experience I've had with this puppy. CHECK IT OUT!

I can definitely not have to worry about this pedal breaking down for absolutely no reason unless I'm chucking it around the street and running it over with the gear van. I've gigged with it countless times and it's got some wear and tear but it still plays like it did when I first tried it out before purchasing.

It's a very simple pedal, meat and potatoes you can say. There's a knob for Volume, Tone, and Gain. It doesn't get much more simple than that in terms of Overdrive pedals. In terms of getting a tone with it's fairly simple. Adjust the knobs to your preference and what sounds good to you.