ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive review by MXR

MXR: ZW44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive

Price paid: € 98

Purchased from: thomann.de

It sounds amazing! I bought it because I like Zakks guitar sound and that's what the pedal does. I found a lot of reviews on Youtube where the reviewer used this Overdrive on a clean amp but that's not what it's made for. Put it in front of an already overdriven amp and you'll hear what I mean. I use it with an '80's Marshall JCM 800 (the good ones) and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Alnico Pro II pick-ups and I have the Zakk Wylde settings on the box. It's the best Overdrive sound I have ever heart! Sounds almost like the man himself. You might have a little noise (like a little waterfall) when the pedal is on and your guitar volume is down but that's normal. Zakk says he has it too because he doesn't use noise gates either and he just turns it off between songs.

I play hardrock/metal and it's perfect for my songs. I've been playing for 8 years or so and it's the best Overdrive I've come across. It matches my Marshall and Les Paul perfectly! If it were stolen I'd order a new one immediately because I can't play without it. The only other pedal that comes close is the Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 and that's the one Zakk played before he had this custom pedal. I can't say anything bad about this overdrive, it's all I need to play kick-ass rock n' roll.

It's one tough motherf%$*@er. I let it fall the first day I got it but it didn't even got a scratch. It's a heavy full metal pedal with the typical MXR on/off foot switch. I used it live a couple of times and it always worked perfect! I don't need a back-up with this pedal.

Using this pedal is as easy as taking a piss in swimming pool. It has 3 knobs: Output, Tone and Gain. Just plug it in between your guitar and amp, step on it and turn the knobs for an Overdrive that suits you best or look in the manual and use Zakks settings. The pedal gives you an instant Overdrive sound that seems to come right out of hell.

Inversemetal
    Josherz wrote: I have this pedal.someone traded me an yngwie cd for it.Who do you think got the better end of that deal, ha.You REALLY need a noise gate.This thing is as noisey as they come when you ad it to your distorted sound.good pedal.
    I agree buddy, i bought this a few weeks ago. Luckily a friend advised me to buy a noise suppressor!
    Josherz