Guitar Rig Kontrol review by Native Instruments

Native Instruments: Guitar Rig Kontrol

Purchased from: Native Instruments

I run it with Guitar Rig 5 Pro which I purchased in the NI Komplete 8 Bundle which is some of the best value for money a muso will ever see. Guitar Rig 5 Pro is awesome if somewhat a little bit grainy but that's always the downside of digital compared to analogue. The pedal audio interface has a little bit of dirty noise in the background, probably a driver issue, but is bareable. I had it set-up on 2 operating systems, Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 so I know the dirty noise is coming from the Rig Kontrol.

I like using Guitar Rig 5 in the studio for practicing and recording initial ideas but even though it has great sounds it often comes of sounding a bit plasticy in the mix but a real amp can't be used at 4 in the morning. This pedal is great for controlling the software and has so many different options for controlling multiple parameters at once. Never has any issues when latching onto software and it also has midi control option and additional midi controller set-up editor software. I would like to use it live one day just to see how it would go but I don't have a laptop. My only gripe is that dirty noise that is always there in the background whether I am playing guitar or just listening to music. You can only hear it when there is no audio but out of all my half a dozen or so audio interfaces it is the only one that has this problem. Be aware thet when buying a shipped product from Native Instruments Germany it took 29 days to arrive to Australia and it came directly from China. Heaps of customers complaining about shipping online but it was $90 cheaper than music outlets over here.

It's built like a tank but you still have to be vary careful of it's Achilles heal, the USB port, which even when slightly damaged can make gear like this useless. The unit has 2 little metal lugs to stop things running into the back connection face but everything protrudes further than these lugs so they are just for show.

Very easy to use once you finally get the driver to install. I have set it up on 2 different computers and my advice is to make sure you use this audio interface, because that is what it is, on a computer without any other interface. Do not use it on a computer with multiple audio drivers because even though you may disable or select one interface to use another one there still seems to be driver conflicts. Now I run it on a system by itself it runs OK.