DD-800 Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: Nobels date: 08/01/2005 category: Guitar Effects
Nobels: DD-800 Digital Delay
To sound like an analog delay the repeated delay signal can be tone controlled with the rep. tone-control. Setting this control to the left position will damp the amount of high frequencies.
 Ease of Use: 8
 6.4
 8.5
 4.3
 1,666
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
DD-800 Digital Delay Reviewed by: queen471, on august 01, 2005

Ease of Use: The DD-800 Digital Delay pedal is very easy to use. It has 4 knobs that can change the 'tone', 'level' (which controls the level of the delay signal), 'time' (which adjusts the delay time depending on the mode) and 'repeat' (which adjusts the amount of echos you want). There is also a Mode 2-way toggle switch which lets you choose between the delay being 'long' or 'short'. 'Long' changes the span to a maximum of 800ms and 'short' allows for delay times up to 200ms. This one of the disadvantages this pedal has is that you can't delay the echos for that long. There is a manual for it, and compared to manuals for my other 2 pedals (wah and disortion) it is very good. It gave me most the information I needed to get going with the pedal and it leaves a description of all the knobs and switches so you have no excuse for not knowing what they do. I was also thankful to the manual because it gave me 5 sound examples, like some suggestions of what delay effects I may want to use. There was also German translation on the back which would help for German customers, but it didn't have any other language translations so this suggests Nobels may only sell their products in the UK and Germany. I am not sure if the DD-800 has been updated, from my research into Nobels as a company I found that they have only done a few pedals so maybe a 'up coming company'? // 8

Sound: I am using a Gibson SG Replica through a 30 watt Drive amp (it's not a high quality amp but suites me fine). I also use a Danelectro Black Paisley Liquid Metal distortion pedal (I have also reviewed the Black Paisley on UG) and a wah pedal. The delay sounds come nicley out of my amp, not any feedback when I use the DD-800. I have noticed odd noises when the battery is low, but this is fine because it lets you know that you need a new battery. I would suggest purchasing a 9v AC mains adapter to you save money instead of buying batteries ever week. The effects are not at all weak, they work fine. Except, when you are using full on echo with full distortion, it sounds like 5 guitars trying to play in time and failing. So if you plan to use full echo, just have slight distortion. My favourite band of all time is Queen (RIP Freddie Mercury). Brian May was my 'influence' to start guitar. One of my favourite guitar solos is Brighton Rock from Queen's 1979 album 'Live Killers'. May uses echo throughout the 12 minute solo and I've wanted to learn it for years, and this pedal sounds very Brian May-esque. If you're not in to full on 'echoing' then there are many other things you can try such as the manual suggested 'big room', 'little room', 'slap back' and 'short delay'. Of course these are only a few suggestions from Nobels, but you can experiment yourself with it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe I can depend on it, it has a great sound and it's simple to use. I would simply make sure there was a new 9v battery in it every time I stepped up on stage because, like I said, odd noises occur when battery is low. // 8

Overall Impression: The style of music that I play varies. Without the pedal I am doing alot of fast and metally stuff e.g. Metallica, Racer X. I do a lot of different stuff. The DD-800 would not really suite these bands because it's basically distortion and phasers with these bands. But with my 2 favourite bands, Queen and Led Zeppelin who don't use great amounts of distortion, playing their stuff makes a good sound. Unfortunatley, off the top of my head I can not name many songs that use echo or delay other than Brighton Rock (Queen) and occasionally on The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin). So this pedal can only be mainly used for experimental music writers. This pedal is very good for its price (57) and I like experimenting on it. But if you are keen on sounding like your favourite bands then I suggest you don't buy the DD-800. // 10

Comments