EarthTone Boost Review

manufacturer: NOC3 date: 09/10/2010 category: Guitar Effects
NOC3: EarthTone Boost
I think this pedal would be an outstanding match to any style of guitar.
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.8
 5.6
review (1) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
EarthTone Boost Reviewed by: properpat, on september 10, 2010

Purchased from: www.tonefactor.com

Ease of Use: A single JFET boost with one knob, an input, output, green LED, a 9-volt power input (AC) and a stomp switch. The easiest of the easy. A single sheet of paper came with it as the manual, but it isn't really needed to understand the super-simple operation. // 10

Sound: I'm using this with my warmoth telecaster (single highorder pickups A5 t-top replica humbucker in the bridge, wired straight to the output jack). It's running through my pedal board (earthtone, custom JHS overdrive, NOC3 rock candy, Lovepedal Karl 2-knob, cmatmods analog chorus, Blackout Effectors Whetstone phaser, cmatmods deeelay) as a buffer. For a single JFET boost it's fairly loud, interesting considering I'm running it through all the aforementioned pedals. I bought it to be a buffer to pep-up my signal through that long run (even through 'true-bypass' pedals, which all of mine are, the signal gets pretty anemic coming out the backside). It works beautifully! The only real description of this pedal is that it adds a sweetness to your tone that is hard to explain (that's direct from Nick's website, and it's completely true). Something about that terribly small circuit has a big amount of magic in it. It brings back all the spank and sparkle to my tone without taking anything away. Picking dynamics are still wonderful and harmonics are wonderful across the spectrum. If you're looking for this boost to push an overdriven amp into a whole new territory of gain I'd say you MIGHT be disappointed. But if you want some sweetness with a little kick behind it, this is your pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a terribly small circuit board inside a terribly small but tough case with a very sturdy stomp Switch and a smooth traversing pot that gives the pedal a feel of confidence. I don't think I'll have any problems with it. It's not a pedal you mess with constantly anyway. If you turn it off you start to wonder where the magic went, so it's much more fun to just leave on. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this pedal would be an outstanding match to any style of guitar. It doesn't add any real coloration to the signal (I don't count sweetness as coloration, sue me), rather it gives it a great luster you didn't know you loved. If it were stolen, lost or destroyed I'd have to replace it, my tone would never be the same without it. I have another boost in my custom JHS Overdrive that's pretty good, but it's more for just making things louder. The two are really night and day to one another. The JHS just enhances what's already there, good or bad; whereas the NOC3 makes it better. Sorry if I'm a tad redundant. // 10

Comments