CH-3 Chorus review by NUX

NUX: CH-3 Chorus

Purchased from: JB Music

The controls are basic and getting the sounds you want are pretty easy. No problem at all. I've achieved most chorus sounds I needed. The ones I loved emulating are from Guns N' Roses as well as the chorus sound from Nirvana's "Come As You Are" (which is actually why I bought a chorus). It think it's pretty hard to get a bad sound from it since you can always tone it down using the blend knob. The manual is somewhat unnecessary if you are familiar with what a chorus does. Pretty straight forward.

I usually instrumental music (e.g Satriani) but I got myself this chorus pedal because I've been playing in cover bands for a bit. I use it with whatever amp is available at the venue I'm playing in and it sounds good in most scenarios. It doesn't seem to be very choosy when it comes to amps. It is very consistent in sound.

Being a chorus, it's not really noisy. I don't imagine choruses in general adding noise to my signal chain. As for it's sound, it mostly retains the original tone, but a little brighter. It can do most of the chorus sounds I need, and can even do a pseudo flanger sound when the speed knob is set quite low and the depth really high. The blend knob is probably the best feature of this pedal making it a really versatile chorus.

The casing seems thin but it doesn't seem frail at all. Perhaps because I have been using boss pedals for most of the time that I think that it is thin. The hardware has lasted for over 2 years now without any problems. I have gigged with it without a backup and with no problems. The finish hasn't worn off at all since I bought it. I loved the battery compartment at the back. The only hardware problem, Im not actually sure if this happens with all units, is that whenever I engage the pedal for the first time since I plug it in, there's a popping sound. After that it's a quiet pedal. Maybe I had a faulty switch.

Playing mostly in cover bands, I end up playing a wide range of genres and this pedal has had no problem adjusting to that. It's a basic chorus that can do most sounds quite well thanks to the blend knob. I've been gigging for 6 years and this is one of the pedals I regret selling after owning for quite a while. I love the sounds it makes but hate the look. The look alone makes me hesitant on buying it again. But it does sound good especially for the price I paid (plus it was brand new). Other choruses I've tried are the Boss CH-1 and I didn't like it because it didn't seem as transparent as this one. Even though I dislike the look, if I lost it, I would probably buy another one.