Bax Bangeetar Guitar Pre-EQ Review

1,829
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Bax Bangeetar Guitar Pre-EQ Reviewed by: davey77, on october 13, 2015

Purchased from: Zzounds

Ease of Use: As much as I love this pedal and I feel like my pedal GAS is over it does get some getting use to. But don't worry Orange supplies a nice instruction manual that's easy to understand and offers great settings to start out with. The Top and Bottom knobs are the treble and bass knobs which are easy to use. The middle knob functions with the Q and Frequency Centre knob. Basically it's controlling your mids from a high mid spike to a scoop sound. This is perfect for some metal players that love to scoop mids and still cut thru without over bearing the highs and lows. The manual suggest to put your mids all the way up, put the Q knob around 11 o'clock and adjust the Frequency Centre to your liking. This does get some getting use to but once dialed in I felt like I was in my personal tone heaven! // 8

Sound: I play mostly rock n roll from '50s, '60s, and '70s ranging from surf, garage, arena rock, older punk, older metal, stoner, doom, psychedelic, blues and some rockabilly. I'm playing an EVH 5150 III 50W head on the blue channel with the gain at 9 o'clock and with its matching cab. The guitars I use are a Gibson SG with Toni Iommi bridge pickups and a mini pup in the neck. I'm also using a 62 reissue Japanese Fender Tele with Seymour Duncan Hotrails on the bridge and Quarter Pounder neck pups. Now on to the pedal. This thing is really amazing! Very Orange amp like overdrive. I would compare it to an OR/Rockerverb models with its voicing. When turning the gain all the way it produces a nice fuzzy Orange tone. With the tele I get a nice twangy crunch that never sounds thin. With the SG I get a nice AC/DC tone when rolling the guitar's volume knob or an awesome doomy/stoner drive with the gain at 12 o'clock ala Sabbath and QOTSA. The pedal matches will with my amp delivering nice dark tones or with the presence know turned up more it can brighten up nicely without sounding harsh. It is a bit noisy when the gain is full on but like most higher gain units that's normal. There is a boost switch which pushes the gain to 5dbs which is awesome for solos and cutting thru tthe mix. I like this tone a little bit better than the EVH because its uncompressed and really natural sounding. Over all it's worth the money! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Orange makes no excuses when making this product. It's highly durable and the quality is by far the best. The enclosure is really heavy metal so its durable and can with stand a nuclear holocaust. The knobs are well screwed on and look really nice, when rotated the knobs "click" to stay in place which is a cool feature when gigging. Also there is a bar between the foot switch anf knobs so when engaging the pedal your foot does not move the knobs as well. Really cool feature. Like all my gear I have a tendency to open it up and see whats ticking in there. All of the components are nicely soldered and all of the wires are zip tied nicely, everything looks nice and high quality. It's made in England so I feel like it will last me a really long time. // 10

Overall Impression: While I play all sorts of rock n roll music I tend to venture towards a grittier, lo-fi sound like an overdrive or fuzz. So finding the right pedal can be exhausting. From fuzz faces, tone benders and muffs it was hard to find a fuzz that can sound overdriven with a bit of distortion, cuts thru a band mix and palm mute nicely. So I gave this pedal pedal a try thinking I love Orange tones already, and now I feel like my search is over! It runs smoothly thru my amp and like I mentioned earlier I like this pedal's tone a bit more than the EVH. There's this extra bit of sauce it gives out. It also plays well with other pedals like delay and reverb. Cleans up nicely and fuzzes out beautifully. It tends to be noisey but its controlable. Yes it's freaking expensive but the quality and tone is well worth every penny. // 10

Comments