Texas Two Step review by Pedalworx

Pedalworx: Texas Two Step

Purchased from: Online

My setup changes often (check my profile if you want to see what I'm running). I use this pedal most often with my Strat and Fender valve amp. It is basically an old Fender amp in a pedal. The Drive knob goes from a very transparent breakup to an old twin reverb cranked. On the lightest setting, I use it to color my rhythm tone, and then hit the boost pedal for solos. Past 9:00, the level knob creates a fuzz tone on top of the Drive. It would best describe it as the intro from Foxy Lady. You can "tame" the fuzz using the compression/clipping Switch if you want a volume increase without the fuzz. The Drive knob, as I mentioned above, works it's way up to the boosted tone. In between you get great tones, from Johnny Winter, ZZ Top, and SRV (the pedal responds very well to picking dynamics) to Skynyrd, George Thorgood, and Drive By Truckers. As you can see from the artists I listed, it is great a producing southern rock, blues and country tones. Switch your guitar from a single coil to a humbucker, and it takes on an entirely new character. It's much more of a distortion pedal, and less subtle with tonal changes. On high gain amplifier settings it is great for rounding out your tone (filling in the mid range). However with dirtier amps like Marshalls or my Soldano it somewhat undermines the natural Overdrive of the amp. It sounds like there are just too many effects on at once.

Well, it's taken me three years to write this review (you know what I mean), and my impression has not changed one bit since I bought it. This is by far my favorite of the many, many pedals I own. It does one thing, and does it very well, no need for bells and whistles. The TTS plays well with every other pedal I've put in the chain with it, and sounds good on every amp I've tried. I know UG says no glowing reviews, but how often do you come across any purchase that you are truly happy with in every respect?

Very dependable. Metal casing, hand built (good quality solder work, I looked), high quality components. It better be for that much money. Comes with a lifetime warranty, and George (the owner) is a personable guy, takes pride in his work. If something went wrong I am confident he would handle it quickly.

Very simple to use light to medium (think tubescreamer) overdrive/distortion pedal. It has the expected tone, Drive, and level controls. There is also a 3-way toggle switch that controls the compression/clipping level. It makes the pedal a bit thinner and darker, for the most part I leave it off. There are two foot switches: one turns the effect on and off, the second is a boost channel. The boost channel is actually just the Drive knob at 12 o'clock (regardless of where you have the knob set). Very easy to use, not hard to find the tone you want.

guit30
    Good ,thorough review, gives me a good idea of what to expect from this pedal. Pedalworx is an excellent company that chooses not to do everything just like everyone else.