Stomp Classic Pedal Tuner Review

Ease of Use: 10
 1,604
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Stomp Classic Pedal Tuner Reviewed by: cjb2293, on august 09, 2013

Ease of Use: The Peterson Stomp Classic tuner is one of the best investments into my rig I have ever made. Not only does this pedal not suck tone like some other tuning pedals may have, it is loaded full of features that you wouldn't typically expect in a tuner, but that make perfect sense! It comes with a manual for programming certain functions (such as "sweetened" tuning modes, which I will talk about later in the review), and it works great as my rig's Chromatic Tuner and as an acoustic DI box for when I switch from electric to acoustic on stage. // 10

Sound: This tuner is currently patched into my pedalboard (first in the signal chain in front of the amp) and I run it with both my acoustic and my electric guitars. The first thing to note is these "sweetened" tunings that the pedal comes pre-programmed with. These tunings go off of the concept that every instrument does not have the same perfect tuning. Instead, it factors in "each instruments individual idiosyncrasies (including string deflection, interval spacing, harmonic nature and range)" to make sure that you stay in tune. You will note this if you've ever noticed your tuner saying your instrument is "in tune" but still sounds slightly out. Apart from the sweet tunings, the pedal is accurate up to 0.1 of a cent, includes a high contrast LED screen (which is very nice for outdoor shows!), and a built in D.I. with 3 different modes of use as well as attenuation. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is build like a rock! I think I could throw this across a concrete floor at a show and it would work perfectly (though I would hate to put some scratches in the beautiful screen and body of the pedal). Not only would it withstand abuse, but it feels like a tank underneath your foot, and certainly doesn't have a cheap feel when engaging the pedal. This has been, as of lately, and will forever be the only tuning I will use during a live performance. I have even used this during recording sessions to make sure my instrument has been tuned and intonated. // 10

Overall Impression: While I've only tried this pedal with my acoustic and electric guitars, it is advertised with "sweetened" tunings for all sorts of instruments, including Banjo, Dobro, Mandolin, Violin, and lap steel. Before investing into this pedal I used a Boss TU-2 tuner, which worked well but always gave me issues of visibility while playing outdoor shows. With additional features such as the DI and improved accuracy, it was a simple decision to make the switch to a Peterson tuner. Peterson also makes other version, including headstock and rack mount tuners.

// 10