Detonator SP Distortion/Power Boost Pedal Review

manufacturer: Pignose date: 12/03/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Pignose: Detonator SP Distortion/Power Boost Pedal
It starts with the basic "Pignose Sound" then expands upon it to make some of the most rich, intense, and hellacious distortion tones possible.
 Ease of Use: 8
 6.1
 5.5
 6.7
 1,329
review (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Detonator SP Distortion/Power Boost Pedal Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 03, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center Online

Ease of Use: Two buttons and 2 "Pignose" styled knobs. The two knobs control "Intensity (distortion/sustain" and "volume". The two buttons are labeled "Extra Snort" (an all out setting where the intensity knob is ignored (think "11") ) And "Bypass" to activate the pedal. Its pretty simple, not your run of the mill stompbox since it has two switches. The "extra snort" setting could accidentally be active before using the "Bypass" switch to engage the pedal. it also requires either a 9v Battery or an adapter similar to those used by The Big Muff or Holy Grail Pedals. Also there are NO LEDs or other means of knowing if the pedal is active! // 8

Sound: I'm using a 2001 Mexican Strat with a Junior JB pup in the Neck position. My Amp is a Peavey Classic 30 (A pretty neutral sounding tube amp IMO). It isn't especially noisy, many other better pedals will get noiser, however its certainly LOUD. This maybe the loudest pedal I've ever used...In order to get the pedal to match my clean tone I had to have the "volume" knob set before the 9 o'clock position. Barely any usable tones... I was tricked into thinking I was using my bridge pickup when I turned it on and once I did decide to switch pickups, I soon regretted it. Its just too trebly with a nasty crunch. And if you try and roll down your tone knob you'll wind up with a sort of "broken mudddy farty" tone. The "Extra Snort" setting is KINDA kool in that you can achieve even more of an obnoxious tone out of in. Since it doesn't have any sort of EQ settings, you're stuck with basically one tone with what I'll call an "obnoxious" knob. I can't think of anyone of the top of my head with a similar tone although I'm sure they exist. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Its in a brown leather case held together with a few screws, the way its built reminds me of a ProCo Rat(two piece housing) only with thinner metal. I'm pretty sure it would survive an assault of stomps but I can't shake The Feeling it could potentially fall apart. If I ever DID decide to use it on a gig(hahaha), I probably wouldn't bring a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Blues, Rock, Indie. My Fav Bands are Led Zep and The Strokes. This Pedal can't do either of them really. If it were lost I'd be a little upset, not because I miss the tone but because its an awfully nice looking pedal. Its kinda like having a Big Muff or a ProCo Rat that bypasses the Tone/filter knob completely but not as "nice sounding" It would've been a much more usable pedal if it had even just one Tone/Filter/EQ knos. It could also really benefit from having LEDs to let you know when it was on, as well as letting the user know when "Extra Snort" Mode was Active. I'd much rather spend my money on 85$ worth of Bacon. // 4

Comments