Chromatic Tuner Review

manufacturer: Planet Waves date: 05/13/2008 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Planet Waves: Chromatic Tuner
The new Universal Chromatic Tuner from Planet Waves has something no other tuners have: a built-in stand that doubles as a bracket to hang the tuner from an acoustic guitar's soundhole.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: GoodGod, on may 13, 2008

Purchased from: Dave Snider's

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, turn it on, and go right ahead. What they did very well, was have a bracket that can either be used to stand it up on a table, or have it hook onto the soundhole of your guitar. The LED's are very bright, very easy to see in dark environments. Also, instead of a needle, it's a bar that moves across, so it's a lot easier to see in low-light environments. It doesn't always detect the note very fast, sometimes it takes it a second or two, so I'm docking 2 points. // 8

Sound: This picks up sounds pretty well, even with moderate interference. When at a jam session, I can usually tune over my band members' warm ups using the built-in mic. The tuner also has a 1/4" input jack, so you could use it at a gig when another band is playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd most likely depend on it, but probably wouldn't gig with it without a backup. It's very sturdy and well built. The buttons are some sort of rubber, and the case is made of molded plastic. I expect this to last me for some time. This is way sturdier than any other metronomes (The Seiko SAT500 and Korg GA-30) If I was to gig, I'd probably bring along a backup tuner, but I'd still be very surprised if this broke. // 9

Overall Impression: If this were lost/stolen I'd go right back, and get a Brand New one. It's so easy to use, and so durable, I don't think there's a better one for the price. I'd look for a guitar/bass version of the same thing, but if there isn't one available, I'd just get the chromatic version again. // 10

Comments